Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving 10miles to a rodeo this morning and while waiting In line to get in, my trans kept getting hotter and hotter till it stopped at 215* What should I do?? The truck only has 76,000 miles

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Drive faster.....check behind all the radiators and coolers for debris and obstructions, rinse out with a water hose and some soapy water. Also make sure your fan is working and engaging. Does your A/C cool good while you are sitting still?

·
Registered
506 Posts
212* is nothing to worry about! If you were in park with a stock trans you aren't circulating atf , in gear or neutral at an idle your barely circulating fluid... Its bound to get warm. I wouldn't worry till you sustain above 230-250 with synthetic atf.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to put it in neutral and rev the motor to 1000-1200 Rpm's and it dropped the trans temp to 197-199. Just worried me as the trans has never been hotter than 180-185.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand that. I was just worried because the temp kept climbing even I wasn't moving and in neutral.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
This is why it is nice to have a super deep pan. My temps never get above 190, no matter what. If I was in the south I would consider a tranny cooler with an electric fan. Like it was said before the pump doesn't pump in neutral or park.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
This is why it is nice to have a super deep pan. My temps never get above 190, no matter what. If I was in the south I would consider a tranny cooler with an electric fan. Like it was said before the pump doesn't pump in neutral or park.
Try when towing.

Mine usually does not get any hotter than 100 degrees over air temp.

Run a totally stock truck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright well I left this evening and started the truck up and then just sat in line to leave the field. The trans did the exact same thing. Started at 87* and climbed up to 212* when it was only 65* outside and dark. I don't understand why it would just get so hot from just sitting there. It's never done this before.

So my question is:
Should I have it looked at?
Call a tranny shop?
Buy a super deep pan?
Or buy a Aux trans cooler?
Or a combo of the above?

The transmission is stock and had a filter/fluid service 8,000miles ago an no burnt fluid, still perfectly red.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
IIRC sometimes theres issues with the thermostat opeing/closing properly on the trans fluid line.

·
Registered
389 Posts
IIRC sometimes theres issues with the thermostat opeing/closing properly on the trans fluid line.
Yep....I read a while ago about the small thermostat on the driver's side of the trans cooler (sandwiched between the A/C and intercooler behind the grill) that bypasses cooling to help the ATF warm up quicker and at 160 degrees is supposed to close so the fluid will go through the cooling fins. This is all good as long as the valve is clean and operating but I guess it can get full of crud and stick which basically makes the cooler stop working. Do a search and you should be able to find your answer. This valvel has a spring that can be modified to make the valve stay closed so the cooler is always working......that's what I'm going to do to mine before the weather gets hot and I start towing again.

Also if the engine is also getting warm, a good cleaning will help because there are multiple coolers close together and debris can slow airflow down alot. The front one, A/C condensor usually gets the worst of the bugs, leaves, mud, etc....and it has this smallest fins which really blocks airflow.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep....I read a while ago about the small thermostat on the driver's side of the trans cooler (sandwiched between the A/C and intercooler behind the grill) that bypasses cooling to help the ATF warm up quicker and at 160 degrees is supposed to close so the fluid will go through the cooling fins. This is all good as long as the valve is clean and operating but I guess it can get full of crud and stick which basically makes the cooler stop working. Do a search and you should be able to find your answer. This valvel has a spring that can be modified to make the valve stay closed so the cooler is always working......that's what I'm going to do to mine before the weather gets hot and I start towing again.

Also if the engine is also getting warm, a good cleaning will help because there are multiple coolers close together and debris can slow airflow down alot. The front one, A/C condensor usually gets the worst of the bugs, leaves, mud, etc....and it has this smallest fins which really blocks airflow.
Can I check the thermostat myself or when I remove it will trans fluid come pouring out?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any one else have any ideas??? My transmission did it again today. Drove 10-12 miles at 55-65mph and then stopped in traffic and watched my transmission temp rise to 210* from 170*. What's causing this!?!? 😡😡

·
Registered
166 Posts
mine does the same thing and i have the maghytec deep pan!!! thats the reason i got the pan cause its suppose to keep the temps cool. driving it does seem about 10 degrees cooler. im thinking of aux trans cooler with fan!! anybody got any info on how to change or check the trans thermostat?

·
Registered
72 Posts
yes you can clean the thermostat yourself. I have done it in the past. just this last time i took it out to look at it while installing banks cooler. i even cut like half a revolution of the spring so it doesn't have as much tension and closes a little faster. never had your problem but have done a lot of reading and sounds like it will fix what your experiencing. search something like "cleaning transmission cooler thermostat 48re" should find something easy

·
Premium Member
15,615 Posts
Any one else have any ideas??? My transmission did it again today. Drove 10-12 miles at 55-65mph and then stopped in traffic and watched my transmission temp rise to 210* from 170*. What's causing this!?!?
What are you reading the temp with and where is it measured?

When it is getting hot are you in neutral or drive?

Are you sure the fan is working correctly?

·
Registered
166 Posts
im using my edge insight cts to read temps on mine. and according to most that i have read on cf its very accurate compared to a mechanical gauge. but if the fan was not working like it should wouldnt the engine temp go up as well? the other day it was around 105 outside, engine temp never went over 195 but trans temp went up to 215.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Search this section fore the ATF cooler bypass fix.. Mine is permanently bypassed and I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.