Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into my truck and started it and was hearing the starter still turning. I tried to kill it but would not shut off. I disconnected the batteries and it stoped. When I reconnected them the truck was turning over and starting without the key in. Is this my ignition switch or has the starter hotwired its self some how? How do I replace the ignition switch or should I just put in a push button start?

·
Registered
370 Posts
i dont have direct experience with the type of starter in your truck but i have seen this happen to all automotive brand starters and even harley davidson starters as well.. its almost always the starter and/or solenoid.
you can check it out by unhooking the solenoid start signal wire and hookin up the batts again. if it starts cranking again, pull the starter and see a starter/generator shop or buy a new one.
if it doesnt, check for voltage at the starter signal wire all the time, even with key off...
hope this helps....

·
Registered
751 Posts
this happened to me my starter would stay engaged and if i tried to shut the truck off it would just keep trying to start so fine your 10mm 12 point wrench take the starter off and replace the two contacts inside mine wore worn paper thin so when the plunger would contact them it would spot weld to them and stay engaged it cost me about 8 bucks for heavy duty contacts from my local starter shop and about an hours work i havent had a problem since so good luck if you need any thing else pm me

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tracked the solinoid wire from the starter to a plug on the fenderwell and disconnected this plug. I then hooked the batteries up and the plug back up so now it works like normal. Im still going to take off the starter and see what is going on with it and fix it for good later today. Im glad yall told me it was the starter because I was about to put up with the headach of doing a ignition switch. I guess it kinda reset the solinoid when I did this. Thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
no problem good luck

·
Registered
689 Posts
mine did the same thing, tried cleaning connections, didn't work. Ended up having to get new starter, because i didn't have time to get it rebuilt

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine did it too. New starter fixed it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts