Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title explains it all. Fire the truck up there is a terrible noise coming from the engine. When I increased the throttle noise went away, figured something was loose. Got home and shut the truck off and all you could hear was the starter staying engaged until the engine stopped rotating. Does this mean time to rebuild or replace the starter or is it possibly an electrical repair? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If your're sure it was the starter. Get your multimeter out. Test for battery voltage between the small wire on your starter( solenoid hot) and ground. Have someone attempt to crank the engine. When they let off the ignition switch the power should go away. If it goes away, should just be the solenoid. If it stays. Check your starter relay. See if the battery voltage for the coil of the relay stays on after the ignition switch is off. If it goes away, could be jacked up relay. If the voltage stays, then check your ignition switch. Wish I knew the wire colors for you, but I don't have a manual yet.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright will take a look at it tomarrow in the light.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took a look at it yesterday, figured I'd pull the starter out seeing that I couldn't find my multimeter. Pulled it out and found a zip tie stuck between flex plate and the starter so I figured that was the issue. I even hooked up the starter out of the truck to see if it'd work properly. Probably not the smartest thing to do. But the starter worked or so I thought. Put it back in started the truck still making an awful noise. If I could figure out how to post pic's or a video clip up. Then someone maybe able to confirm my thoughts. Still need to check the electrial part before I go any further though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
maybe it's me, but I can't see any pics in your album. What horrible sound are you talking about? Is it after the engine starting? Or is the solenoid not fully engaging and truck not starting?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pic's aren't you I didn't get them to work. Once the truck starts, the starter is spinning with the engine until you turn the truck off and it clatters to a hault. If I can figure out the picture crap and either email or pm you what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright I replaced my starter. Still have the same problem noise isn't as bad but still there.
93oldsmoke I checked the voltage at the solenoid it was battery voltage then went .2 volts on the solenoid. I swapped relays to rule that out didn't change anything. So I'm leaning toward the igntion switch. What all do I test or check for on that?

·
Registered
57 Posts
If your battery voltage for your solenoid on the starter, goes completely away. That should be letting your starter pull back in. Did you check your flywheel? How long after you start it do you hear the noise? It's doubtful, but does it sound as though the starter is reengaging? don't throw anymore parts. Let's see if we can get a response from someone who might have had this happen to them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll record another video so you can hear the noise. Anyone else ever run into a issue like this before?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could a broken flexplate or cracked one cause some noise issue's like this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does the starter make any noise before it starts cranking the engine? Like it maybe having problems engaging? Hopefully someone will chime in, in fact, you could search around all the forums and see if someone had such a thing happen to them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone else have an idea?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I'm going to pull the trans and case and see if the flexplate is broke. Guess I'm going to be fixing the rear main seal sooner than I thought.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You "shouldn't" have to drop the trans to check your flywheel. You can get make a start switch and roll it over and see all of the teeth. This thread doesn't seem to be getting much attn. Have you searched and gotten any ideas?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Your best bet is probly to just have the starter rebuilt or checked out that way you know if the problem resides in the starter or not. Try giving the starter a wrap with a hamer to see if it will disengage for now so you dont destroy the starter.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Old smoke I have searched around and found that these truck are know for cracking flex plates so I'm going on my gut instinct with that and fbabo5 I replaced the starter and still the same noise it hasn't left. Well the crossmemeber and three bolts are holding the trans. in so I'll find out tonight after I get a tranny jack and pull the trans out. O ya there was no starter noise just broken flex plate. I'll post pic's.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Whoa, Yeah, I haven't been around these older trucks a whole lot to know what's common. Dang, you sure know how to tear it up the right way. It's a wonder it wasn't worse. Cool deal though, now you can throw a good tc in there and pump it up some more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts