Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 2005 located in Northern Idaho. Replaced front brake pads about 10k ago and I'm developing squeaking from my pads. I'm 99% sure that it is my pads, but I'm at wits end trying to eliminate this squeaking. Only hear squeaking when I'm free wheelin under 35mph, no throttle, just coasting. It is random and when it starts it gets worse. If I put very slight pressure on the brake pedal sound goes away indefinitely. Once I get off pedal squeaking comes back and gets worse. If I turn the steering wheel aggressively sound goes away. I have removed disc and removed the build up on the OD of disc from salt and corrosion and cleaned pads. I have removed pads and put a small 45 degree bevel on long lengths of pads due to some unusually wear in this area. Brakes work as normal, but squeaking is drivin me crazy.
Seeking any suggestions as where to look to eliminate this prob....HELP

·
Registered
145 Posts
Chances are you have semi mettalic brake pads. Enjoy the noise. That is metal on metal there. In theory the pads should not be touching while freewheeling so i would recommend checking your calipers, specifically the pistons. They may not be able to fully release.

I had the same problem, noise from the front, or so I thought. Turns out the rear pads were out. Specifically the inside ones.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back pads are good...took back rotors off to remove the build up on the od of rotors from salts and corrosion. Maybe I should look into a different material for pucks up front???

·
Registered
231 Posts
Check the caliper guide pins and HEAVILY lubricate (and/or replace if necessary). It's a very common problem on Heavy Duty trucks that they wear and hang a little bit causing squealing and dragging.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
after lubing caliber slide bolts put some disc brake anti squeal grease on back side of caliber to pad contact surfaces,squeal is from high frequency vibration,lubing the slifes and pads stops the vibration.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hve lubed guide pins...will redo and put anti squeaking on back side of pads.
Thanks for the suggestions!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the issue...just putting here so that it may help someone else.
One of the chrome pad holders had the middle tab folded back in half and I straighten it out and backed it out away from the caliber and put some brake squeak on the back of each pad. Also greased the pins again and the prob has went away.
Thanks for the suggestions!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts