Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed an airdog II and quad ad w/pulse drove the truck 1 block and killed the VP:banghead: Installed new VP, downloaded the comp tune and the truck ran great. Its been about two weeks and now the truck shutters awfully under a medium (normal) excelleration, If full throttle seems fine or very light seems ok. Could this quad program be the problem or yet another problem?:confused013: This only happens on power settings not if on setting 0, 1, or I think 2 just 3 and above.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any ideas???

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
A little more detail about when and how would help. If I read between the lines.
It does the shudder at less than medium throttle with tranny in OD lockup or perhaps in direct lockup at lower speed. If this reasonablly accuratelly describes issue, the clutch in converter is fubarred. You might have saved by changing fluid earlier and installing a shift kit in valve body.
With mod chips the engine produces tremendous torque at low throttle and overpowers converter clutch. JMHO of course.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If its the clutch wouldnt it do it at any setting, instead of just above 2?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK updated info.... downloaded 3000 tune. installed and went for drive. It does not shutter on 0 or 1, does a little on 2 and does on all power settings. The shutter seems to be at medium throttle in OD or excellerating once in OD. This has only been happening a couple times, Ive been driving in 0 since I noticed it. If its the trans or clutch what do I need to do? Will just a service ie fluid tighten filter etc fix it or new clutch or complete rebuild? PLease tell me its something else the money I spent on the airdog and quad just to replace my vp and now the trans would never had done it and will advise anyone else the same. Its not worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
As the throttle is opened the engine poroduces more torque until converter clutch shudder is observed. At heavy throttle the compumter unlocks converter and no shudder. Reread earlier post...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had a perfectly fine transmission until I put a couple of mods in it. In two weeks it was done. This transmission in stock form sucks and can't handle much power over stock. Bottom line a built trans will be in your near future.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now new issue... I have the high idle warm up and temp cool down options ON. When I got home from town turned off the truck is continued to run, cooling down. After a minute it kick up into high idle... warm up???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dozer,

I see you do some serious towing. I just did my first road trip towing a 5ver weighing around 14k.
I bought my truck used and the guy said the trans had been rebuilt. I did everything in my sig to get the truck ready and the trans has already shiffting hard and strong. Took the 2400 mile trip through Utah, Idaho, Ca, lots of climbs and grades.
Day 2 noticed a slight shudder in OD as I started to pull grades. I immediately went to 3rd and it stopped. For the rest of trip I was very careful and tried to "drive" not just cruise the truck. Had it happen a couple other times

Am I looking at a TC? Also, can I just buy a TC and a valve body or do I need to do an entire trans rebuild?

I am not into racing the truck, I just want to be able to pull my 5ver and not stress

Any help would be appreciated

Carl

·
Registered
371 Posts
OK updated info.... downloaded 3000 tune. installed and went for drive. It does not shutter on 0 or 1, does a little on 2 and does on all power settings. The shutter seems to be at medium throttle in OD or excellerating once in OD. This has only been happening a couple times, Ive been driving in 0 since I noticed it. If its the trans or clutch what do I need to do? Will just a service ie fluid tighten filter etc fix it or new clutch or complete rebuild? PLease tell me its something else the money I spent on the airdog and quad just to replace my vp and now the trans would never had done it and will advise anyone else the same. Its not worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Anyone on here could have told you that adding 180 hp over stock would blow your tranny apart, it's kind of common knowledge I thought, and if i were you I would leave the adrenaline on stock and not even try to add any more power, your only making things worse when your tryin figure out this shudder, unless you got 4 grand to dump into a tranny right now I would leave it alone until you get your money figured out

·
Registered
120 Posts
yeah TC is probably fried..... I killed my stock stuff in like 3 days after my quad install. I kinda knew it would and my only real mistake was letting a local trans rebuilder "help" me save some money by letting him rebuild it instead of getting one of the big name transmissions that you'll see around this forum. He said he knew all about the big #s that our cummins can put out and assured me that it would hold up even with my current mods. WRONG!!! He has already rebuilt twice (under his 24k mile warranty) and it will need it again in probably another 3-5k miles, but this time I'm gonna go with an ATS unit or something. Basically I'm trying to help you not waste money like I did.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Whiteone

Truck is goin I'n tomorrow 4 transgo shift kit and a pressure line boost kit ,

Once they drop the pan I will know if I ate a converter, I really don't think so as I only had the shudder a few times and immediately I backed off and dropped to 3 rd

Back home and truck drives and shifts strong through all gears so maybe I caught it I'n time

If not, I'm gonna do an ats or dtt trans

·
Registered
122 Posts
My quadzilla adrenaline was surging until I turned off the defueling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts