Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the run down. I have an 07 5.9 with 135000 on it. A couple years ago i did a bunch of upgrades. Compound turbos, head stubs, fass 150, dual CP3’s, efi live for tuning, and 100hp nozzles on the stock injectors. All went perfect ran fantastic for a couple years! This last fall it all of a sudden started running ( should I say idling bad and white smoke and would want yo run away on me after getting on it and letting off the pedal ). Like it was still being given fuel. So did the whole injector testing and found a couple injectors were bad.

Jump to now. Ordered new DDP 200 stick ( not remans ), new tubes, HP fuel lines, upper valve cover gasket, etc.
Installed last weekend and all went great, kept everything clean torqued everything to spec etc. jumped in the truck turned it over a couple time to prime and she fired right up and sounds fantastic. White smoke for a bit as it was burning out the cylinders as normal after an injector replacement. BUT! As soon as i put it into gear it sounded like I had installed a big cam. Loped really hard and wanted to surge ahead and white smoke (slight), like it had a BBC with a big cam in it. Put in neutral and smoothed right out again no smoke. Reverse or neutral doesn’t matter does the same. WTF?
So decided to give it some pedal (in neutral) slowly bringing RPMs up. At around 1500/1800 sounds like a mis and starts bellowing white smoke. Rev it quicker or higher RPM and it is even worse.
Had my tuner update files for the 200 hp injectors and took it out for a test drive. Right away with a load on it it sounded like injection timing is off and missing. Turn up the CSP5 with and it was worse.
I am stuck at a loss here. It now is exactly 180 from pre injector replacement. Except for the missing and knocking. It did really have that before and just ran crappy it idle. Now it’s horrible under any load but neutral.
Can anybody help me out? Have video clip of what it is doing but can’t upload them here.

·
Trying to learn
5,193 Posts
upload it to u-tube then put the link here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Valves were all set after new injectors installed, no blow by at all. Whats got me stumped is that these issues (missing, knocking, white smoke when under load or free rev) where not present pre new injector install. Haven’t checked compression yet.

·
Always Learning
20 Posts
I understand your frustration. I had lots of problems with a brand new set of DDP 120hp injectors. They were repaired twice under warranty including a new set of nozzles with less than 10k miles. Frustrated to no end I had Big Bang Injection rebuild my set while still under DDP warranty and my problems went away. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Posted a YouTube video.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
scooters468 It’s members like you that make this forum worth every minute trying to navigate the forum! Lol. Hoping if I tag Martin_BBI in the reply he’ll chime in and give me there thoughts? I did post a video to YouTube and here is the link https://youtu.be/SRkdqQllqRk
Watch and listen and tell me what you think. Thanks a ton for the input. Really not looking forward to a 3200 loss if these injectors are junk.....

2,539 Posts
No CEL's so I would say the new injectors, wiring and ECM are fine electrically. The rail pressure looks fine at idle also.

I would set the ECM back to stock. It should run fine and smooth with the stock ECM program and the 200hp injectors.

What is the blowby like? Pull off the oil fill cap while the engine is idling.

Double check valve lash.

While the engine sounds fine at idle, I think you have internal engine issues. As others mentioned, start planning to run a compression test.
Not hard but time consuming.

Hopefully nothing serious.. Good luck..

·
Always Learning
20 Posts
It's your injectors. As soon as you started it up. Swap out your injectors and your problem is solved. Your symptoms are identical to what I went through. I am sure ddp told you they check out fine? However the problem has to do with the lack of balance in you flow rates. Reach out to Martin at BBI and have them test your injectors. You don't need to look any further.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is absolutely no blowby out of the valve cover. Like I have mentioned, the issues I’m having now where not present before the injector install except for the truck would lope when put into gear but that started when my 100hp injectors started acting up. Getting ready to send my old injectors in for testing.
I can’t find any videos or get any info on doing compression testing for these motors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any thoughts on Oregon Injection? There down in the McMinville area I believe. Wanting to get my old injectors teated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ty thing is these have no miles on them! Brand new supposedly! Still doesn’t explain the lope when I put it in gear though. Could ECM malfunction cause any of these problems. I know there are no CEL’s or codes but would that mean its good?

·
Always Learning
20 Posts
I had the same lopey idle. If you want I'll send you my 100k stock injectors you can install them and see if things change?

2,539 Posts
I would not be bringing the injectors to an small independent diesel shop for testing.

DDP has been around for a long time and has an excellent reputation. I put DDP nozzles on my injectors 14 years ago.
Has anything changed over at that shop? New ownership or mgmnt?
It is possible, especially after reading Scooters experience, that the new DDP injectors are failing.

If you do pull the injectors out, I would still recommend a compression test.
With the injectors out, put the rockers back on, remote start switch to bump the engine, Cummins adapter and high range (500PSI) compression gauge.

Last item, has the engine oil level been going up? Any fuel in the oil?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It’s hard to believe the injectors right out of the box could be bad? Nothing at all leads to rings or compression issues but I will do the compression test to rule out. Oil levels have never raised and oil doesn’t have any fuel smells or thinning from fuel contamination.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
If you have the ability, you could kill the injectors one by one and see if it makes any difference.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts