Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago my truck went dead after getting off the interstate. Cranked up and ran fine seconds later. Then I noticed that it was shifting late sometimes. Not always. Today on the way home I made a stop and when I got back on the road it won't shift out of first (auto). Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
my dad had the same problem but it was in second..it was a band in the tranny..or it could just be that its a ford..

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sounds like a tps problem. Maybe one of these guys that know more will chime in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been told that but haven't had a chance to get the codes read. I guess I'll be in the FJ40 till I figure it out.

Later,

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tranny thing makes sense since it has 188k on the stock tranny. Not too shabby since all I hear is that they are junk.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Talked to the folks at dieseltrans.com today and they told me to check the trans. output sensor and the gov. solonoid. I've got part numbers. Hope it's one of those. Much cheaper than the trans!

Later,

·
Registered
316 Posts
On the back of your tranny there is a sensor, I can't remember the name but it is like 20 dollars at autozone

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been told that but haven't had a chance to get the codes read. I guess I'll be in the FJ40 till I figure it out.

Later,
U can cycle the key on and off 3 times leaving it on the third time and it will diplay the codes in the odometer window. If it is the TPS do an APPS search on here. U can adjust and reset the APPS. I was throwing an Apps code and just finished redoing mine and the truck drives great again with no codes. totally fixed dead pedal problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... it's fixed! $17.00 speed sensor (trans. output sensor) was the culprit. Better than the alternative! Thanks for the help!

Later,

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
U can cycle the key on and off 3 times leaving it on the third time and it will diplay the codes in the odometer window. If it is the TPS do an APPS search on here. U can adjust and reset the APPS. I was throwing an Apps code and just finished redoing mine and the truck drives great again with no codes. totally fixed dead pedal problem.
That won't work on a 99. I didn't have a check engine light. Could there still be a code even if there is no light. I'm good to go now with the new speed sensor. Just wondering.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
That won't work on a 99. I didn't have a check engine light. Could there still be a code even if there is no light. I'm good to go now with the new speed sensor. Just wondering.
Here is the infdrmation for OBD II trucks and how the infromation is stored and erased...:thumbsup

OBD II Error Codes

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Thanks, that is good information. By the way the bottom link on your web site does not work. Not throwing rocks, just wanted to thank you and let you know. :beer
Not problem... I've been busy updating the pages and I might of forgot to fix one... OPPS! My Bad... :rof

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hey Bodean, do you have a picture of your Dodge to go with the picture of your Cruiser :butt:

(Inside yoke y'all on this forum wouldn't understand)

Hijack over, carry on

:beer

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, well, well. If it isn't a little smarty britches! No pics of the Dodge. I'll try to get one just for you!

Later,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts