Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1999 2500 2wd 24v auto test drove thet truck twice eveything seemed great tranny shifts awsome so I bought it and now tonight it started acting weird...

Under full throttle it shifts first to second fine but then about 3/4's of the way through second around 2600rpm it is like it gets a fuel cutoff and the engine goes to 2000rpm even at full throttle. If you let off and get back in it, it is fine... as far as I can tell but havent driven it much yet.

It is all stock exept for a 5" turbo back exhaust. stock air filter box and all...

it seems likt somehow the pcm is pulling fuel. any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
there is no check engine light on either...

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Have the truck scanned for codes and have a fuel pressure gauge installed...could be anything...IP/Lift Pump/grounds etc
But until you check the above is just a guess

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool I talked to a buddy with a snap on scanner and he is going to hook it up today and run the truck and see what codes come up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If Its Not Your Pumps Your Filter Is Dirty,better Hope That Its Not Your Pumps,very Expensive Repair. My Pumps Went Out On Me Twice On My 98 At94,000 And At 125,000 Miles,the Last Cost Me 4659$ To Fix.bad Fuel Wasthe Culprit.change You Filters Often.the First Cimmins Paid To Fix.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I scanned the truck last night and it is coming up P0216 and First thing that cam to mind was change the fuel filter so I did so and we cleared the code. it didn't change anything and the code came right back. it says some thing about pump timming not right? is there any way to calibrate it??? and what is the easiest way to check the fuel pressure???

I have a 30day warr. on the truck but it is a small car lot and I want to know what is going on with the truck before I bring it to them because I do not want a bandaide fix I want it fixed right. and if it is the lift pump it is getting a fass system...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and the truck runs fine under normal driving just when you hit like 2400-2500 it is just like lifting the pedal and it stays at 2000 then if you hold it there (while the scanner was checking out the truck) the power would slowly come back on. So for now I am taking it easy untill I can find out my fuel pressure...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It also has a remote fuel filter up on the high ram with a spin on fuel filter. don't know if that would hurt it but I dont see why.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well looks like I found my problem I have about 7psi at the fuel filter at idle and it drops real quick.... when ever you touch the pedal and it sees any boost

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
I scanned the truck last night and it is coming up P0216 and First thing that cam to mind was change the fuel filter so I did so and we cleared the code. it didn't change anything and the code came right back. it says some thing about pump timming not right? is there any way to calibrate it??? and what is the easiest way to check the fuel pressure???

I have a 30day warr. on the truck but it is a small car lot and I want to know what is going on with the truck before I bring it to them because I do not want a bandaide fix I want it fixed right. and if it is the lift pump it is getting a fass system...
That is the death code for the VP44 its dieing on you... I bet money your lift pump is going south too...

Lift pump diagnostics...
Lift Pump Diagnostics

OBD II error code dump...
OBD II Error Codes

I would highly suggest you get a set of gauges and a real fuel pump...

DiPricol Gauges

and

AirDog Fuel Pump

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea so far I know the lift pump is trash and I am going to order a AirDog on friday for sure. I am just hopeing it didn't trash the vp44 already which the truck runs and drives great at partial throttle so I think it will be alright. just can't drive it untill I get the airdog now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts