Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 ram 2500 and I’m trying to get it smogged but my Nox and DPF monitors are reading not ready. I added a dpf cleaner additive and nothing yet. I recently tuned my truck but brought it back to stock. I’m not sure if it’s because my computers reset or what. Any help would be much appreciated! 🙏

·
Registered
430 Posts
You need 2 active dpf regens. This could take anywhere from 400-1500 miles depending on your driving style.

My recommendation is to drive back roads and lots of stop and go traffic. You want to soot up the DPF as much as you can

I go through this every year when I return to stock for smog checking, and I have this down to a science

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s why I’m trying to smog it..so I can delete it and have two years of smog. What’s the process you go through when the time for smog comes around ?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
In Calif you are allowed 2 monitors not to link. Get a scanner that shows them and drive it. Keep the speed under 70. Some constant speeds of 40,,, 50,,, and 60. In about 200 miles you should have enough linked. Also heat up and cool down cycles help. Good luck. Mine was a PITA. Now I'll do no repairs around smog check time and get it done when the state send the notice ASAP. Sadly, in a smog test area keeping these trucks stock is the way to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In Calif you are allowed 2 monitors not to link. Get a scanner that shows them and drive it. Keep the speed under 70. Some constant speeds of 40,,, 50,,, and 60. In about 200 miles you should have enough linked. Also heat up and cool down cycles help. Good luck. Mine was a PITA. Now I'll do no repairs around smog check time and
get it done when the state send the notice ASAP. Sadly, in a smog test area keeping these trucks stock is the way to go.
thank you! how do I do these heat up and cool down cycles ?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have to do this every year in MA. And we are allowed 1 not ready

I return to stock and use my truck to drive around town, try for lots of stop and go traffic

I have an edge CTS2 monitor that shows me active regens

If you take a decent highway trip that will passively clean your dpf. This is NOT what you want

Drive a couple hundred miles in the conditions I described above and use a code scanner to watch your monitors

This is year 9 for me, so I have this procedure down pat for the least amount of miles to set the monitors

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Perhaps a good diesel repair shop or dealer would have some good ideas. They repair and then have to get them smoged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to do this every year in MA. And we are allowed 1 not ready

I return to stock and use my truck to drive around town, try for lots of stop and go traffic

I have an edge CTS2 monitor that shows me active regens

If you take a decent highway trip that will passively clean your dpf. This is NOT what you want

Drive a couple hundred miles in the conditions I described above and use a code scanner to watch your monitors

This is year 9 for me, so I have this procedure down pat for the least amount of miles to set the monitors

Thank you! I guess adding a fuel additive to clean was a mistake

·
Registered
378 Posts
I got mine to to be ready in 2 days, in town driving, last 2 weren’t ready, headed to smog shop, 1 not ready, pulled in and I had all monitors ready.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I got mine to to be ready in 2 days, in town driving, last 2 weren’t ready, headed to smog shop, 1 not ready, pulled in and I had all monitors ready.
On a Cummins diesel? I have never seen them set that fast. In a gas engine sure, but never with a Cummins

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes, 2011 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 6.7. All in within 60-70 miles. Mostly in town driving, taking the kids to school, running errands and so forth. A times in the country staying under 50mph. I had a lot of cold cycles (over night). Took about a weeks or so.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I have to get mine smogged on Thursday. Truck was bought in CA, I left the state for 5 months, returned. Now to get it registered back in CA, I have to get the smog. Total BS. Absolutely no reason other the gouge the tax payers more.
I hope the truck is ready. I have never touched anything with the computer or any sensors 🤞

1 - 16 of 16 Posts