Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Help me with my surge problem

1179 Views 15 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  01cumminsred
Ok guys here is the deal i just rebuilt my tranny with suncoast parts now the engine has a surge when the torque converter locks up. It locks up and when i am lugging it about the time the truck starts to build and pull real hard it starts surging but if i am in the throttle all the way or barely in it it does not surge. Also it does not surge until i turn the comp box on.The truck would surge like this before tranny work but only in cold weather. Is it because i have all these mods on a stock turbo. I installed a smarty today and the surge is no worse so it cant be torque converter:banghead: HELP!!!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,525 Posts
sounds like the apps to me, is it at a certain rpm? feel like dead pedal syndrome?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean apps and no no dead pedal it keeps pulling it just acts like it cant burn all the fuel or not getting enough so i hooked scanner to it injector pump fuel pressure is good

· GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,525 Posts
apps is accelerator pedal positioning sensor....

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man i really dont know but it is driving me crazy if i knew a turbo would fix it i sure would get one

· Registered
2,285 Posts
Ok guys here is the deal i just rebuilt my tranny with suncoast parts now the engine has a surge when the torque converter locks up. It locks up and when i am lugging it about the time the truck starts to build and pull real hard it starts surging but if i am in the throttle all the way or barely in it it does not surge. Also it does not surge until i turn the comp box on.The truck would surge like this before tranny work but only in cold weather. Is it because i have all these mods on a stock turbo. I installed a smarty today and the surge is no worse so it cant be torque converter:banghead: HELP!!!
You still running factory injection pump?

· Registered
106 Posts
I would definatly check the apps. there is a way that you can check it with an ohm meeter but it has been a while since I have done it. I think that there used to be a post up on here somewhere that took you through it step-by-step good luck.:thumbsup:

· low life
1,489 Posts
I would definatly check the apps. there is a way that you can check it with an ohm meeter but it has been a while since I have done it. I think that there used to be a post up on here somewhere that took you through it step-by-step good luck.:thumbsup:
moparman has a post on here step by step, on his forum he has the apps for sale about half price, search moparman threads...heck i will wait ...lol

· low life
1,489 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i am still running all my mods on factory injenction pump and turbo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.