Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I sold my 07 QCSB 2500 4x4 5.9L/6 speed and picked up a 98.5 QCLB3500 4x4 5.9L/5 speed. It seems to be a pretty decent truck.....not perfect by anymeans though. Its a Laramie with tan leather thats cracked on both sides and dash is busted but thats normal for these. Mainly worried about picking up some power and making it more reliable. Supposedly the VP and LP are "newer" but I have no proof so Im expecting the worst. There is no void sticker on the electrical connections on the VP so Im pretty sure its been replaced. Anyhow I dont use this as a daily driver. Just tow a John Deere 550G LGP dozer (18.5K) and a dual tandem gooseneck trailer. Occasionally a 40' 3 axle with several rock crawlers on it and then your normal bumper pull 18' with Polaris RZR S in tow. I dont have a set amount of power I want to get out of it but I know I need a fuel pressure gauge and a new lift pump or fuel system. Looking at the Raptor 100 or 150 but would like to have some additional filtration along the way. What I DONT WANT is a filter system hanging down below the frame rail. This is a farm truck and it WILL get ripped off. Open to ideas here but putting a skid plate on the filters hanging down is not one Im gonna do. Also looking at the Quad Adrenaline with Pulse system or the Edge Juice w/Attitude. Have read good/bad things about both. The Quad is cheaper so that is looking better to me. Im not really looking to hot rod this truck but would like some better power. Then again I know how that bug likes to bite folks....:stirpot: thanks in advance for all the help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
if you dont want filters hanging down you can get the raptor 100 or 150. with it you can use the stock filter. also if you dont want to get mechanical gauges you can get the adr or the juice. i ran the edge comp and it was alot smoother power than my quad adr. i havent ran the juice so i dont know much about it. but before any power adders you need a good fuel system imo.
-Lee

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What is the best filter for the stock fuel filter canister. I have searched and havent had much luck. I know on my 07 it was the Baldwin 7977 5 micron. Are the factory fuel lines big enough for what I wanna do......Im thinking maybe 450hp....? Again thats just throwing a number out there. Ive seen the bigline kits and all that but dont wanna buy something that I dont need. Trucks got plenty of other things that need to be done without just throwing money at it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have am running an Edge Juice w/Att and an Airdog 100. My Airdog came with 1/2" fuel lines but it does have the water separator and the filter on the pump. Mine only hangs down 2" at the most. You could easily weld in a skid plate and i'm sure you would be fine but if you don't wanna do that just go with the raptor 100 and the big line kit. I think the fuel line upgrade is well worth the money. The reason I went with the Edge vs the Quad was the Edge includes all the guages I need and the safety parameters. It has a fricken siren that goes off when your egts get too high and when fuel pressure gets low. The power wire thats hooked up to my Airdog mysteriously got broken at the battery when the transmission shop put my clutch in. The truck fired right up, the only way I knew I was at 0 fuel pressure before looking at the guage was when the siren on the Edge went off. Had I not figured this out and drove all the way home on just the VP, I would have been replacing the VP.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both the quad and the edge have fuel pressure guages and pretty sure they both have alarms. I do not want the filters hanging below the frame. I dont care if its 1/2". I have nothing against the pumps with filters and would love to have one if I could mount it where they dont hang down. I cant believe they dont have some kinda mount to do this. I have fabbing equipment but I would think that if it could be done that there would be some kinda post on it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would just get the raptor, and use the stock filter housing. I run a wix filter and never had any problems with them.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
X2 on the Raptor. That's what I've got and have had no problems running it with the stock fuel canister. You have to think how many vehicles are running around the continent with the stock fuel filter and housing? Additionally, because we don't have the high pressure injection like you did on your common rail, the filtration of the fuel, while still a big deal, does not pose near the dilemma on the 2nd gens.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
X2 on the Raptor. That's what I've got and have had no problems running it with the stock fuel canister. You have to think how many vehicles are running around the continent with the stock fuel filter and housing? Additionally, because we don't have the high pressure injection like you did on your common rail, the filtration of the fuel, while still a big deal, does not pose near the dilemma on the 2nd gens.
How come you gotta draw straw in yours.....? Im still not all up to snuff on the 24v stuff yet.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The drawstraw helps the fuel flow(less restriction) and/or he had an in tank lift pump

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotcha. I really dont wanna get in the tank if I can keep from it. I really dont wanna fool with the fuel system at all but I know if has to be done.

·
Registered
236 Posts
you will have to do a drawstraw unless you have a fuel pump on the side of the block. i run wix filters in my stock canister with my raptor.
-lee

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My pump is on the side of the block. Is my factory fuel lines big enough to support 400-450hp? Here is probably what my setup will consist of. Quad Adrenaline, Raptor 150, BHAF, 4" exhaust from turbo back. Maybe some bigger injectors down the road. Thats about it. Not getting into stacking chips and huge turbos. Just want a hard running, good pulling truck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
regardless what raptor you get; if you buy new it will come with half inch lines. i would go ahead and buy the big line kit because the stock banjo bolts on the vp44 and the fuel filter housing are very restricting. dont try to build your own big line kit like i did because by the time you buy the stuff it dosen't look as good and you have 20 or 30 more dollars in it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Only if you do a hack job on the install do the filters hang down low, my Air Dog 150 is tucked up nicely and have never been a problem, you could mount a piece of rubber in front of them to shield them from mud a bit, but the filters are cheap so replacing them every couple months isn't a big deal. The adrenaline is awesome, thats what I would recommend, prolly the best box you can get for a vp truck IMO. A 62/71 turbo is probably your best bet for towing, along with some 100-125hp injectors.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok well I talked to a guy that builds the brackets that tuck the AD's up in the frame and he said he would throw one in if I bought his AD. So Im waiting to see some pics of them. I see you recommend the Quad Adr but in your sig it says Edge Juice.......??

Only if you do a hack job on the install do the filters hang down low, my Air Dog 150 is tucked up nicely and have never been a problem, you could mount a piece of rubber in front of them to shield them from mud a bit, but the filters are cheap so replacing them every couple months isn't a big deal. The adrenaline is awesome, thats what I would recommend, prolly the best box you can get for a vp truck IMO. A 62/71 turbo is probably your best bet for towing, along with some 100-125hp injectors.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ok well I talked to a guy that builds the brackets that tuck the AD's up in the frame and he said he would throw one in if I bought his AD. So Im waiting to see some pics of them. I see you recommend the Quad Adr but in your sig it says Edge Juice.......??
The Quad has been getting some good feedback lately. It is more customizable and does add more power.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I have heard good things about them. Just remember hearing all the horror stories of my buddies buttons not working, crap surging, etc. And DANG that Edge monitor is tits! But I dont wanna have to pay that kinda money and then pay more money to get downloads either.

·
Registered
503 Posts
do you have the famous 53 block in there? i had a 98.5 5 speed that had the 53 block. i ran an edge comp, 100 hp injectors, walbro fuel pump, bhaf, 4 inch exaust to a 5" stack. she ran great until the block cracked. :doh:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah its a 53 block truck. I have yet to see a 24 valve that wasnt to be honest. I know there out there though. I have read that usually they will crack within 100k miles ESPECIALLY if you are towing alot. This truck has towed alot in its life and still no sign of cracked block. Im not saying it wont happen but if/when it does I will just handle business. I can buy alot of blocks not paying $700/month on a new truck. Thats the way I see things.

·
Registered
503 Posts
very true. my 98.5 had the 53 block and it went south at 297,000 miles. I also towed quite a bit and had some power adders...but not a whole lot. the 53 blocks were MOSTLY in the 98-2000 models. there were a few in 01 that have been found. just keep an eye out. not dishing the truck, just warning you what to look for :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts