Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know ill get ragged on but i think my lift pump is going? I do not have gauges, i know i need them but i dont have any money right now, there top priority once i get some money. Is there any way to check my lift pump withou the fuel pressure gauge? I dont even really have money for the lift pump, how hard is it to change? Anyone have a link to installing one? What do you guys think of the bd lift pump? I just went camping and truck ran fine, cleaned the truck up (was on dusty roads) Then was driving up a hill and the truck almost seemed to be sputtering? Im so confused and worried any info would be great thanks everyone! To top things off its my birthday tomorrow haha:banghead:

·
Registered
625 Posts
from what I gather you need to have the fuel pressure checked to really tell if it is working or not. There may be a schrader valve (like the kind on your tires) to test the fuel pressure from. You may be able to go to a mech shop and have them do that for you. I read that you can check the amount of fuel that pours out of the lift pump when you bump it. Not too sure about it but I am sure you can search.
Can you hear the pump running? turn the key over and crank the truck but stop before it starts can you hear the pump running? This will only tell you if the lift pump is running not that it is giving adequate fuel pressure or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lift Pump Replacement

I replaced the lift pump on my 02 at 90K miles, after it started running bad. It is really not that hard to change once you figure out how to get to it. Unless yours has been modified or relocated to the tank or frame rail, it will be found almost directly below the master cylinder, along the frame rail on the driver's side. My first R and R took me about an hour and a half, as I was trying to get to it from the top. This can me done, but I found that it is easier to get to the back fitting from underneath the truck. I got a bad lift pump from the parts store and had to replace it (I had a gauge on mine). The second time it took less than thirty minutes. If you have basic tools and some mechanical knowledge, it really isn't that hard once you get to it. My fear is that you problems may be more serious than a lift pump, as my bad lift pump likely caused my injector pump failure. After replacing the lift pump twice, my truck still ran bad, so I had a friend scan it and the lift pump code popped up. 1150 bucks later I had a new injector pump. Also, I have heard that the APPS sensor can cause similar problems, but I am no expert. I am sure that there is a great deal more info on here with pics if you decide to replace your lift pump. If it is very old, it would be a good idea, although it may no fix your issues.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure if the lift pump is old, too be honost im assuming its stock, im only 17 i dont got alot of coin, could it be that the truck wasnt warmed up? It seeme to be running better after i coasted it down the hills and let it warm up, i didnt really want to hammer on it at all, i really just wanted to make it home, i dont know where too start, im assuming its a lift pump, i dont got 700 bucks to get the bd flow max lift pump installed, is that even a very good lift pump? I dont think that my injector pump is gone? I surely hope not.

·
Registered
625 Posts
well if the lift pump is gone the injector pump will go shortly after. I think you can do the key trick to see if you have any codes.
turn the key on to start then back off three times and on the third time leave it on, on the odometer it will say P XXXX being numbers then P done if you have any codes.

When I do that I get P 1693 and thats it, so when I hook up my code reader I get code P0216 which is the death code for the injection pump. I do not have gauges yet either so I do not know my fuel pressure (just bought the truck 2 weeks ago) But I will be buying a chip and a bd Vp44 as well as a lift pump.
The lift pumps are not hard to install from what I can tell. i have never done it yet, and I am not going to this time around as think we should be paying for someone else to do it if you can afford that to try and help this economy. Plus I need it right away and my garage is plugged with a bmw that we are doing a 302 sbf swap in.

The bd flow max pump does not have a air seperator filter on it, and they (bd) dont think that it needs it. There pump is rated for 150GPH as 10 psi and 160 GPH at full psi so it seems to have the flow that would be needed. However that is not the cheapest option. You can put a holley on there close to the fuel tank to save some money. Heck some people have good luck putting the stock carter on the frame rail near the fuel tank. Fass makes a ddrp that is fairly inexpensive as well. It does not seem that too many shops locally here carry air dog.

If you are ever out my way I have a code reader and can read the codes on your truck but that is a bit of a drive for you (burnaby)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok i got the same code you did p1693 but nothing else, i went to to chrysler dealer ship and they scanned it nothing either, so im not sure whats going on there. I have a bad fealing its the lift pump and i live in hope so if i even did get the money to have bd do it i wouldnt be able to drive the truck there. Im not sure how hard it will be to install the lift pump, im just stumbled upon all this

·
Registered
625 Posts
p1693 is a companion code. so there is another code in there. Jump in your truck and just start it up right away. Turn the key and crank immediately. Does it start? was it easy to start? how does it sound after its running, sound different? Mine does. Almost a high pitch whine to it.
i know my vp needs to be replace so I am just driving it as is and getting it repaired next week. Will see if it last that long.
The lift pump will not be too hard at all. esp if you go with a cheaper pump that does not require a draw straw. But I dont think you should cheap out too much on a lift pump. How many times would you like to go through this?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well that actually what i kind of did, i didnt wait to start and it was probably a bit chilly and i just started driving, so could that of been what it wass possibly? I have done the key trick, thats the only code that comes up then this ------ then p done, it might of just been that, tomorrow ill fire it up and see how she goes, thanks for your help, ill let you know how it goes tomorrow, maybe ill luck out considering its my birthday in 7 minutes haha

·
Registered
625 Posts
happy birthday.
Doing the key trick I only get p1693
if I dont wait for the wait to start and just start it right away it makes a higher pitched noise and doesnt seem to run right, but if I shut it off and restart it starts and runs fine. and that seemed to happen at around the same time as my Vp44 through the death code.
I would not drive the truck too much till you get your fuel pressure reading. Or you may be looking at a $1300 vp44 and a lift pump. plus install. which will set you back roughly $3K

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, im not sure about that p1693 code, i got the truck read, or what ever you want too call it with the tool, and nothing came up, they said they dont go by the key trick, cause that code could be set off by doing a burnout, if thats true or not who knows, but im not sure, i guess ill see what happens, i dontknow how to clear the p1693 code, it has been around for awhile and this is the first time the truck has acted wierd at all

·
Registered
798 Posts
First, did you see two p done's

It will go p pcu then show codes then p done then p ecu then p done.

The computers in this truck won't allow a p 1693 to be present without another code. It is a companion code to say there's another code in the system.

Like if I were to do the trick on my truck it would show

P PCU
P 0500 wheel speed sensor
P Done
P ECU
P 1693
P Done

and that's cause I spun my tires on ice the other day.

There's another code in the system, make sure you see two p done's and it goes back to the odometer before you call it done.

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
the FASS DDRP and Raptor are both great lp's that are cheaper than 400 dollars, and are not hard at all to install:thumbsup:, i REALLY need to order one myself, but, i can't seem to spend the money yet...:confused013::banghead:

·
Rescue Tower
10,811 Posts
Ok i know ill get ragged on but i think my lift pump is going? I do not have gauges, i know i need them but i dont have any money right now, there top priority once i get some money. Is there any way to check my lift pump withou the fuel pressure gauge? I dont even really have money for the lift pump, how hard is it to change? Anyone have a link to installing one? What do you guys think of the bd lift pump? I just went camping and truck ran fine, cleaned the truck up (was on dusty roads) Then was driving up a hill and the truck almost seemed to be sputtering? Im so confused and worried any info would be great thanks everyone! To top things off its my birthday tomorrow haha:banghead:
OBD II Error Codes

Lift Pump Diagnostics

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so im pretty sure the lift pump is starting to go, i think its still working, but if i were to take it easy on her how long could i drive the truck? I dont haul anything, it only acts different at 3/4 throttle

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well I'll tell you right now, I bought my truck in feb. Had fun with it for a month, found out it had a chip, blew some smoke, found this forum, and proceeded to sh!t myself.

Put a gauge in and guess what 10psi idle 7-8 cruising, 4-5 WOT. Not good. I have an Air Dog 150 in the mail right now (won't get here till monday :banghead:) but I've been babying it since I found out.

Pretty much it's a gamble driving it. I have to cause it's my only way to work 30 miles away. But with the gauge I can keep it about 8psi the whole way and nothing yet. But as soon as I get the pump it's going in and hopefully I can milk my vp44 till I can get a new one.

So you really need to get a gauge in there and watch it till you can get a pump.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well my truck is pretty stock if i were too put in the bd lift pump, not th flow max this one. BD Power - Product: Fuel Lift Pumps do you think that will do for now? Once i start working and making coin again ill upgrade it too a fass or something else along with some gauges, the truck runs fine and normal untill you give it about 3/4 throttle so if i baby it at around 1/4 or half throttle should it be alright for now?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I know it gets old hearing it but the only way to really know is with a gauge. Good Luck

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you want to go the cheapest rout I would look at ebay or craigslist. there was a walbro 155GPH with regulator in vancouver for $65 last month (it sold) but that just gives you an idea. It will work till you have the money. But either way you need a fuel pressure gauge

1 - 20 of 22 Posts