Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is a question that gets asked to much.. but i'm constantly reading and constantly searching and just trying to learn it.

I'm just now trying to learn truck turbo sizes and what will be the best for my goals. I'm wanting to make 500 - 600.. So 550 would be nice goal.

Parts I still need or not sure if I need..

Injectors - 150s? or 120s?

Turbo - S300? I really don't want to do twins right now.. I see the s300 as being a nice upgrade from stock, and if I did go twins, it would be an awesome top turbo..
But what size? 64mm looks nice, but this is me not knowing much about diesel turbos.. How much power am I looking at?

Injection pump.. What does the SO max out at I guess, what hp do I go from being alright to I should prob get a hot rod pump?

Clutch. Dunno yet.. not important right now.. Ill pick that out once I decide on a turbo and get a pretty good power number guess.

studs with a s300? I know they would not hurt, but necessary atm?
Will S300 bolt to stock manifold or do I need a new one?
Intake?
exhaust?

Yeah I'm a big truck rookie.. I know my turbo CAR inside and out. so hopefully I can take relayed info pretty good

·
Registered
389 Posts
* as you go along update your sig with modifications to let others know what you got done
so they can get a better understanding of your truck to help you out.

if you havent yet you might want to get some gauges to atleast monitor boost, egt's, and fuel pressure.

with proper fueling, fuel pressure and a good charger, you could hit 400 or 600 ponies.
(upgrading your stock lift pump to a fass or air dog would help out alot to keep/maintain adequate Fuel Pressure)

(to stay at 400-600 for awhile a nice DD clutch would be something to consider)
Valair
south bend
centerforce

Search around the forums for other builds, soak up some info from them to get an idea of what to do/what you would do, what brands to go with, which part will be more reliable ect...

injector wise, instead of guestimating on what to get, maybe ask some people on here or call up a few companies &
explain to them what you have done/what your gonna have done & the numbers you wanna push and i think they
would be glad to throw some ideas at you.

as far as the s300 mounting to your stock manifold, im unsure of. Im still running my stocker, once i can buy a s366 it will have a T4 flange so i will have to buy a manifold it can bolt up to or buy/make an adapter. Im pretty sure your stock intake tube will fit. And i think as far as the down pipe goes you will need an HX40 style down pipe.

And really depending on how worn your head gasket is, if you re-torque your head bolts it could
hold up to a certain amount of boost, depending on how much you beat on it. Once you start
making more power, before buying new studs at least re-torque your stock ones.

Im not no guru what so ever. So hopefully someone will chime in and help you out.
good luck with the build :thumbsup:

good websites to look at:

pure diesel power
fte diesel
toxic diesel
farm boys diesel
rollin smoke diesel
robs diesel
southern diesel x
cummins performance parts
etc..
There are plenty of GREAT vendors on this website!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
found out that the max SOvp44 is 650hp?

where can i find some good info on BW turbos?

·
President of the 509
7,266 Posts
550 is a bit high for 150s. I would look into 200s with a 64mm, such as a super b special

·
Hemi
12,651 Posts
I would call ED for a turbo. 64/71/14 is a nice size. SDX injectors ~200hp. A1 headstuds. Valair dual disk clutch. Don't waste the money on a Smarty. SO pump is good. I like my AEM Brute force HD intake. And a 4" or 5" exhaust will work great.

·
Go sharpen your hooves!
669 Posts
I would call ED for a turbo. 64/71/14 is a nice size. SDX injectors ~200hp. A1 headstuds. Valair dual disk clutch. Don't waste the money on a Smarty. SO pump is good. I like my AEM Brute force HD intake. And a 4" or 5" exhaust will work great.
:agree2: Love my ED turbo. Chris is the man to deal with. you get what you pay for too. my billet wheel 63/68 flows pretty damn close to a special, and spools a bit quicker. DEF get headstuds. i got my gate set at 52ish, but i can see as i high as 56 on the street.

i dynoed on a dynojet and he was having trouble lighting the turbo. the most i saw on the dyno was 48lbs. and i have 35" trail grapplers, so i thought 528 was pretty solid. i'm probably closer to 550 on the street.

I also love my CPP injectors, Jamie is also an awesome guy to deal with. would recommend his stuff all the way.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
62/71/14 + 150's 500hp-530hp
64/71/14 + 200-240's 500hp-620hp depending on boost and supporting mods
66 +250's 520hp-600+hp

there ya go write it down

Reactions: wazzza

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that's what I'm talking about. Good solid posts thanks everyone!

What would be the best turbo to get now, run and have fun and be the perfect top to a s400 bottom twins. 62?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So 62mm for future twins and 64mm if I want to stay with a single only...

Twins - 200 inj
64mm 200 inj

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 62/71 is for 450-525 [spool around 1500rpm].
What does the 64 spool around?
and is a 64mm as a top turbo to twins a popular set up? or not?

also I'm worried that the 62mm will get hot pretty quick.. 64 lower my egts also?

·
President of the 509
7,266 Posts
a 62 is popular for a larger set of twins, probably not the best for towing. If towing is the goal a 57 s300g(super b) is very popular. A 64 as the top in twins is too big for most vp pumped trucks.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perfect post chrisd. Thanks

So I should get a 62 if I want future twins or even smaller
If I want to ride a single out. I should get a 64mm

200 inj for a 64mm perfect? Or should I think about 150-175 on a 64mm?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
i tow really heavy just fine with my 64 (super b special) and 7x.012 injectors, it doesn't get to hot but I also have a water methanol injection setup just incase I want to really put the hammer down, I would say what i have would be good for you unless you are in really high elevation then you might want a slightly smaller turbo

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
i tow really heavy just fine with my 64 (super b special) and 7x.012 injectors, it doesn't get to hot but I also have a water methanol injection setup just incase I want to really put the hammer down, I would say what i have would be good for you unless you are in really high elevation then you might want a slightly smaller turbo
What are your injectors rated? Between 200-250?

I currently have 150hp injectors, and I'm thinking about going to the special, but nearly everyone that runs it has 200hp injectors or so. How do you think 150's would work with a special?

On a side note, would 7x.010 with some lift (to get close to 200hp rated) give better overall mpg than a regular 200hp injector?

Don't mean to rob this thread but I'm in the same boat as the OP. :thumbsup:

Karl

"Wasting time" on my my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I don't really go by hp rating, its a guessing game at best, and a flat out lie at worst.
but my best guess would say my inj are rated at 175-200, but i have seen some 7x.012 rated up to 250. I say if your going to spend the dough on the turbo, it really doesn't cost anything to get injectors to match, I doubt my suber b special would spool so quickley with identical (in all but size) 7x.010 injectors. and that would make it a real pita, but i could be wrong im no turbo injector guru, just some guy that bought the stuff

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I don't really go by hp rating, its a guessing game at best, and a flat out lie at worst.
but my best guess would say my inj are rated at 175-200, but i have seen some 7x.012 rated up to 250. I say if your going to spend the dough on the turbo, it really doesn't cost anything to get injectors to match, I doubt my suber b special would spool so quickley with identical (in all but size) 7x.010 injectors. and that would make it a real pita, but i could be wrong im no turbo injector guru, just some guy that bought the stuff
I see where you're coming from :thumbsup: the reason I asked is because I get good mileage with my 150's and I'm scared that if I bump up higher ill lose a little mileage. Not a HUGE deal, but it would concern me.

"Wasting time" on my my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 31 Posts