Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys sorry if this isnt in the right forum, i just fig. some of you locals might be able to help me, couple weeks ago i was down in eugene, car cut me off and i slammed into a curb:banghead::banghead:, made a loud pop, almost like something broke(bearing race maybe):doh:, so i was driving I-5:party018: and pulled over in coburg, nothing looked wrong :confused013:but when i would pass by cars or barriers it was like a ticking noise with driveline movement, (did it even with no throttle, just rolling), so ive been still driving it:doh:, and besides the ticking it almost sounds like ...like.....like a loose brake pad rattling. (its kinda like a U joint noise too in away, if your not confused by the "LIKES" :hehe: could it be 1, wheel bearing? axle U joints? maybe even front line U Joint? help!! i dont wana be cruising down I-5 and have something lockup and roll the . thanks MEN

·
Kansas Cummins Crew
761 Posts
At first I thought "Tracbar," But that wouldn't relate to the ticking noise while driving. So you might inspect the front outer u-joints.:confused013: Ecspecially the impact side.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see thats what i thot so i did (havent actully lifted the truck and free spooled it), funny part is its coming more from the driver side and it hit the pass side. my U joints look ok on the front D line as that is closer to the driverside, so idk, its a mystery. also its not even really a U joint knock/tick, its more like a bearing race that cracked and is ticking while still rolling (if that makes sense)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hub Bearing assembly. How many miles are on it? I have replaced a lot of them. Jack up the truck and check for up and down movement in the tire. You'll have to lift pretty hard. Have someone watch where the shaft goes out through the knuckle. Any movement there is bad. they are a sealed unit. Les schwabs is about $200 bucks cheaper than the dealership per bearing. Call me if you got any qusetions. 541-419-1930 Chris

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
44k miles, but, 3 months after i bought, ran 35s for 6 months, then 39.5s for over a year, back to 35s for 4 months then 41s for a year, been dunes, snow, mud, ohh ya, did i mention dunes!!! i beat the sht outa that truck at dunes even jumping, :headbang::headbang::headbang:
soooo i suppose a bad wheel bearing isnt out of the question................"IS IT":hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

ill check in the next couple days annd let you know chris, thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yeah. i have seen them go out with 30k on them. i think that i have changed out 4 or 5 on mine, big tires are hard on them

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i bet on yours, 2nd gen was bad with big tires and having the wheel bearings going out.

·
Oregon Chapter President
3,673 Posts
Bro, mines been ticking like that for a year or two, and it drives me nuts. I can't figure it out either, I've looked over every rotating thing that I could think of as far as rotating when I'm moving. Still can't figure it out... so I'm just gonna rally it till it finally tells me whats going wrong. Lol. I'm to the point that if it ain't broke, I'm not gonna worry, cause it's when I worry that things seem to get worse and break. Haha, I know that stupid, but hey, it seems to work so far. Lol!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
hahah E-cowboy. I like your style! see ya tomorrow at 6 for our meeting.....DAD lol

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
hey whitefozo, were you drivin down 217 on tuesday haulin some qauds?

·
Registered
873 Posts
unreal - first off your truck looks awesome. i see it all the time, actually i passed you tonight on verda in keizer on my way home. def. sounds like a hub, if you dont have somewhere to check it yourself bring it in to Les Schwab on Lancaster and ask for me - Joel, I'll check it out and hopefully be able to give you an answer, but it def sounds like a hub assembly to me

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
unreal - first off your truck looks awesome. i see it all the time, actually i passed you tonight on verda in keizer on my way home. def. sounds like a hub, if you dont have somewhere to check it yourself bring it in to Les Schwab on Lancaster and ask for me - Joel, I'll check it out and hopefully be able to give you an answer, but it def sounds like a hub assembly to me
FINALLY!!! someone from salem:shock:, yea im looking to rent my house out here on cordon RD by sunnyveiw, so im not far from your work, i drive by market all the time. im looking at rent/own a house right there on verda, im about to have a kid in 6mo and need more house room. cant beat a 5bd house 2bath for 1400 a month, thats less than my morgage!
ya ill have to make sometime to get down there, what days do you work?

·
Registered
873 Posts
all but weds. and if that rental is in keizer thats a screamin deal! I live in keizer, right off the river, so im not far from verda and there are some pretty nice places over there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts