Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 chevy 2500HD witha 6.0 in it right now, i like it but i want a diesel, i love the cummins engine so im looking into those, somewhere between 2000-2005, just because i dont have the money for a new one, How are these trucks? I need a good truck that will bring me to the races every weekend and im also looking for some performance. Im worried about the tranny and front end of these trucks though, i love the look and the engine i just cant have a truck that will be broken, I will deffintly lift it up, put stacks on it and bigger tires, probably ext cab 8 foot bed so i can thow my quad back there, all i'll ever pull is a 20ft enclosed, so what do i need to look for in the 2000-05 range or should i just look into a chevy?, im not interested in a powerjoke though:lol3:

Oh and btw, im new around here, so hey eveyone

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
:rof:rof:rof get a chevy you do know you on a dodge cummins forum:lol3::T: just start looking for what you want there all good dodge with a cummins

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had a 03, 04 and 04.5, They have all been VERY good trucks. in all the trucks i never had a problem with the tranny and I was kinda rough on all of them (over 415hp on a stock auto tranny)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I love the chevy trucks ride quality and durability but when it comes to the motor there is no doubt the cummins is my fav. It has awesome power, much simpler under the hood and easier to work on. Plus its a TRUE diesel! Inline 6 cylinder! But you can go wrong with either.

·
THE Hood Stack Guy!
3,188 Posts
With a 98.5-02 Dodge your going to have a VP-44 fule pump (electronic controled) wich has a tendincy to fail. Doesnt happen all the time but is known to fail. Usually with an aftermarket lift pump people dont see the problem near as much.

03+ are the newer body style dodges with a Common Rail motor. These are realy making some good power right now and realy nipping on the heals of the good ole 12v trucks!

As far as transmissions. Autos over stock power realy donthold up well at all. If you dont mind rowing gears a 5 or 6sp. truck holds up to a ton of power (except the clutch) and give less worries to the guys looking to tow or do truck pulls.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not really interested in a manual, with the auto would there be any chance of getting it rebuilt with better parts or beefed up? i wont be doing truck pulls or towing anything really heavy, however i do plan to get a chip,exhaust and some motormods to make her pretty quick

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
Well automatic or manual...sooner or later you wil be doin some kind of ugrade. Torque converter or Clutch. However you can find newer than '04 for cheap. I got my '06 3500 back in Febuay for 28K. And how you goin to say you got to get a cheap one, then say you goin to chip it out and exhaust and motor mods? LOL....???? But anyway you can"t go wrong with a CUMMINS!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
These are got trucks don't worry about breaking them. They wont break any faster than other trucks The dodge has junk tranny is only for the 94-97 trucks. 2000 on are good.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And how you goin to say you got to get a cheap one, then say you goin to chip it out and exhaust and motor mods? LOL....???? But anyway you can"t go wrong with a CUMMINS!

Well, by cheap i ment not $50,000, mods i can do later when i have the money, racing takes all my money:beer haha

thanks for the help though guys, i appreciate it

·
Registered
205 Posts
Rollie, first if you go with a 98.5 to 2003 5.9 then you will need to upgrade to a FASS or Air Dog fuel pump right away. Otherwise the lift pump WILL fail and take out the VP-44. Once you do that, you can run chips and mods without fear. As for the trans, once you beef the motor, it is only a matter of time till it implodes. Even minor mods require a billet TC. If you go deep on mods, then you need billit shafts. The front ends have their weak links no matter what the brand. On the Dodge it is the track bar. About $125 every 10k miles, or go with one of the aftermarket kits that install a 3G bar on a 2G. Then you never need another.
Read all you can about these trucks, filter out the opinion and "My cousins brother's friend..." B.S. and you can make an informed decision. Good luck... Chris

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
get a chevy ya right. The cummins can eat up any chevy out there. There all good. It is easier to get power out of the cr. The cr is quiter than the vp44. If its me its a toss up there all good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts