Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seller doesn't know anything about the engine. He pulled some numbers off of it and this is what he came up with:

SER# H-15928
MOD# MHB-6
ENG# 173670
REF# SS357

Cummins NW doesn't know and I can't find any info. He has it listed as a Cummins engine...HELP!

·
Registered
199 Posts
It defently is an old one, not sure what kind though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be putting a cummins in my '37 DeSoto project...I was hunting for a 12v '91 and newer, but maybe this will look a little better in there. Depends on the specs.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
:lol3:It's from the late 60's maybe early 70's. I'm not sure about the B part, I've always seen NHC. This is the design before the small cams of the 70's. NHC's were at best 250HP maybe 600 torque. Not as good a boat anchor as a Detroit Diesel 2 cycle ,but close.:lol3:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some more pics for anyone interested...I might do a little more research on the engine before making a decision. I'm not worried about the age of the engine as it would obviously be rebuilt, but rather the weight and power output.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Who are we kidding? No one cares about the age. 60 years doesn't matter. We all know it is a CUMMINS!!! It will run forever. :rof
yeah..if its been taken care of

and it isnt easy to trace back maintenance records on a 60 year old engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah..if its been taken care of

and it isnt easy to trace back maintenance records on a 60 year old engine.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think maintenance tracking took place until the 8 digit ESN began. It's 60 years old, I know it would need to be gone through. I'm not worried about that.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I did a search and it was in a 1948 sterling truck.
It may have come out of a 48 ,but it was not put into it was the truck was new. Notice the compression release...too new for a 48:rof:rof:rof

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Obviously I'm not too concerned with it as it's going in my '37 DeSoto...anyone know some specs on this engine?
Big I know for fact that is was really a new engine in 1955:lol3::lol3::lol3:
At that time it was probably 160 HP.....WOW !!!!:lol3::lol3::lol3:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm trying to find out if this engine is worth buying based on its specifications. Try and add to the thread rather than talk .

:lol3:

Looks like a cool project :thumbsup

·
Registered
461 Posts
:rof:popcorn:

Offer this guy 100 bucks and a case of Beer. I will bet you a case of beer this guy will take it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts