Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen all the threads and reviews with trucks just like mine (see sig) getting quite a bit better mileage than I am. I am getting numbers like 12.5-13.5 and sometimes I see a low 14 (all hand calculated and confirmed by a Mileage Meter APP on my phone).:banghead: My truck is very close to stock and has only 85,000 miles on it (a baby I know).

How are you guys pulling the numbers that you do? Please help me get some MPG. I live in Texas (DFW area) and as far as I know we keep summer fuel all year long. I am not expecting to get 25. The 16-18.:worthy: I see others have is what I would like to get.

What can I do next? I was looking at a programmer, but does anyone have other ideas? I know I need to adjust for my larger tires but I did not see that big of a change when I put them on (they are not huge by any means).

HELP:confused013::S::help1:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
where in texas...have you tried fuel injector i put some in my truck every 5000 miles to help clean those injectors but also you truck is not even broken in yet haha i have like 290k miles and she is running at 22mpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dallas area. I may try the fuel injector idea (or the 2 stroke oil). Yea it still has the new truck smell haha...j/k... I found it (beleave it or not) at CarMax. They said a little old lady drove it to church and back every Sunday....lol

But really I know you have 2wd and a 5 speed....But 9mpg differance...something's up

What brand treatment are you adding?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Dallas area. I may try the fuel injector idea (or the 2 stroke oil). Yea it still has the new truck smell haha...j/k... I found it (beleave it or not) at CarMax. They said a little old lady drove it to church and back every Sunday....lol

But really I know you have 2wd and a 5 speed....But 9mpg differance...something's up

What brand treatment are you adding?
i am in the austin area and i dont know what fuel its the gray bottle at wally world. i usally get the bottle that treats 100 gallon its like 5 dollars.. also a manual should only possibly get like 2 more miles better depending on how the drivers drive.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You really need to figure out your tire correction and then hand calc your mpg. Or run it through an app if you like... it is surprising how a few extra uncounted miles can skew things.
A lot depends on your gear ratio... coupled with your tire size... I've got 4.10 ratio (in retrospect, I'd have been better off with 3.55 or 3.73) on OEM 16" tires... my overhead has proven to be right on every time I've calculated it. My best ever is 18.8, babying it on a secondary route at 45, in OD. Most often I am in the 17s.
I am running TCW3 oil in the fuel which seems to improve mpgs slightly (1 mpg or less... hard to prove) but I run it to increase the lubricacity of ULSD, hopefully extending the life of my VP44.

More agressive tread will hurt mpg. (My OEM Michelin stike me as more of a road tire.) Before you start doing engine mods, check the truck over for basic mechanical faults. Dragging brakes. I had rusty discs... actually dragging the caliper frames in front... several garages & the dealer missed it. Alignment.

I see you're running straight pipe & silencing ring mia... I find when I'm enjoying the engine song, I'm harder on the throttle. I found speed is a big factor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 3.55's and oem 16" tire with BFG AT's. I did see a drop when I first did my mods but now it has stalled at the 13 mark. Before I changed the tires I was getting mid 14 to low 15 on OEM Michelin. I do not have the overhead display so that is not the issue.

The app I am talking about lets me keep track of my milage, gallons, price ect. I spot check the app results every few tanks and it is right on (just keeps down on the clutter of reciepts with my MPG written down).

If I am going topay for something to correct my speedo I want to spend a little extra and get a full programmer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat here. I only get about 12.5 mpg in winter then maybe 14mpg in summer. Seems like i heard somewhere that having only air mods and no fuel mods can actually hinder mileage. I don't know for sure if that is correct, but maybe it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts