Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently purchased a tranny pan that has the filter adapter to locate the filter lower in the pan. I noticed there is not any gasket or o-ring where the adapter bolts to the valve body, just metal to metal. Is this the case or am I missing something?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just weird that they would not put a gasket there since the filter has an o-ring gasket that bolted to that surface without the adapter. Unfortunately mag-hytec is closed on the weekends.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You shouldn't need a gasket for it.. It's going to draw ATF from the least resistance source which will be the filter and hole..
Exactly. Nope, no gasket. We are talking suction not positive high pressure.

·
Registered
602 Posts
the 'full' level is same reguardless of pan depth so fluid will be above the piont where the adaptor is & the fit is close enuff to not allow any particles in unless the filter gets completely plugged...

u can make a gasket if you want just make sure its not too thick and is compatable with the fluid so it don't degrade/soften...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sweet, that's a huge relief. Got worried I had defective parts. Had adjusted both front/rear bands and replaced the pressure solenoid/sensor so didn't want all that work to be for nothing. Replaced the tranny filter also since I was in there.

·
Premium Member
15,180 Posts
I would leave the extension off, they cause problems. As much churn as there is in the pan the differences in temp from top to bottom are negligable. A leak around the extension bad ju-ju as that is drawing unfiltered fluid into the system. Not that the filter is that great but any lessening of filtration is not good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts