Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I traded my 3rd gen 5.9leaker for a pretty good solid 2nd gen 12v. No blow by and 280xxxkm 5spd nv4500 with a Southbend clutch. My problem is the brakes are so hard and I was told it could be a master cylinder or brake booster. Also I noticed that my intake elbow is making contact with the master cylinder and it looks off. But how do I know for sure? Also another weird thing is that for a 1996 it has a VE pump. Bottom line is. How do I tell it’s my MC or my brake booster. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
1. Do you have Hydroboost or an actual brake booster? Hydroboost was introduced in 97 on these trucks
2. If you have Hydroboost, do you have issues turning or is the powersteering pump whining?
3. By hard what do you mean. A break peddle is supposed to be firm or "hard" when pressed down. But not hard as in the truck does not slow down when you hit the peddle.
4. I would first just do a break bleed. It really doesn't really cost anything but time.
5. Then if you have a brake booster I would check vacuum. make sure you don't have any leaks. Leaks will cause the booster to not run. There is not a lot of vacuum produced by these trucks.
6. If you cannot get the air out of the brake system its self when you are bleeding the brakes this almost always a bad Master. however most the time this will also cause your peddle to go right to the floor and you get no brakes.

Just off the little info you gave I would lean to think you have a Brake Booster problem as this would cause the breaks to be very "hard" like your trying to stop the tire with your foot and you have to press supper hard on the peddle to stop the truck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I traded my 3rd gen 5.9leaker for a pretty good solid 2nd gen 12v. No blow by and 280xxxkm 5spd nv4500 with a Southbend clutch. My problem is the brakes are so hard and I was told it could be a master cylinder or brake booster. Also I noticed that my intake elbow is making contact with the master cylinder and it looks off. But how do I know for sure? Also another weird thing is that for a 1996 it has a VE pump. Bottom line is. How do I tell it’s my MC or my brake booster. Thanks in advance.
I bled the brakes and I’m pretty sure it’s a brake booster. To answer all your questions. The brakes are rock solid and the barely slows down. My power steering pump made a whining sound until I topped it up with fluid. However the vacuum pump is functioning correctly it is creating vacuum. So idk I’m still stuck lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
However the vacuum pump is functioning correctly it is creating vacuum.
Well just because it's creating vacuum doesn't mean it's creating the right amount of vacuum. It should be something like 17-20Hg. Like I stated a small leak will cause the booster to not work at all. Test the vacuum with the booster installed. Then take the line off and plug it. Then test vacuum

·
Registered
591 Posts
I found it off that my master cylinder was making contact with my Intake elbow.
Post some pictures, to check the booster quick pump up the brakes and hold,,, then start and see if the pedal goes down some. If you do have a hydro system they can be a pain to get the air out if the ps fluid got low.
Also sounds like you got a Frankenstein truck too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look closely you’ll see I have a VE Pump and my intake elbow is making contact with my master cylinder. Why is my gut saying that. That is the wrong intake boot? Looks like it’s off a 24 v

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And only a single battery. Some weird stuff has happened. Someone help. It’s a solid power train. Just brakes are fucked and my gut says the booster, MC need to be changed. But I’m no expert.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well, it’s definitely not the original motor. I’d just go a head and replace the booster and MC. Then if you’re going to use it as a truck, I’d source a fan shroud and 2nd battery. Just judging by that engine bay, I’d take a hard look at everything else on the truck, especially safety related things.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Probably used to be a gas truck.

With that said pay attention to the boosters vacuum check valve. They are likely different from gas to diesel.

Typically if the booster is bad you'll hear an associated "whoosh" or "pshhh" everytime you step on the pedal followed by the hard pedal.

The vaccum pump also changed through the VE years. I'm not sure if they changed in any substantial way though.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
If your power booster is not getting vacuum you will have hard brakes. The hose could be bad, the pump might not be working, the booster could be broken. I will accept the idea offered that a check valve could be an issue. I would take the vacuum line off, put your thumb over it and see if it sucks. If it sucks the problem is likely the hose or booster. If it does not take the vacuum line off the vacuum pump and see if you get suction at the pump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your power booster is not getting vacuum you will have hard brakes. The hose could be bad, the pump might not be working, the booster could be broken. I will accept the idea offered that a check valve could be an issue. I would take the vacuum line off, put your thumb over it and see if it sucks. If it sucks the problem is likely the hose or booster. If it does not take the vacuum line off the vacuum pump and see if you get suction at the pump.
Okay so i got the brand new brake booster for the truck. And I didn’t order a master cylnder. Just gonna throw the booster on and hope for the best. I did successfully bleed the brakes so I think the MC is fine. Ultimately I think it’s the booster that’s done.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Let us know how it goes. We tried to give you some trouble shooting steps before sending you to spend money on the Booster

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good stuff man. Always sucks when your truck takes a ****

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had to install an Elec vac pump.
Due to brakes being had on second push. Turned oout the check valve was bad. Took to long to get vac up enough for second brake application.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Definitely not the engine that can in that truck or someone installed the wrong air intake. Find somone with that year model and look at it if they will let you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Didn't all of the diesel trucks come with hydro-boost setup? Looks like a standard vacuum booster in the picture. You may have trouble ever getting enough vacuum to operate the breaks with that booster.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts