Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Help keeps blowing VPs

2K views 45 replies 4 participants last post by  afterburn549 
#1 ·
Ok guys so I had a P0216 code checked everything and determined needed a VP. I bought a 2 year one from Thoroughbred, put it on and in no time starts running like crap and getting the code. Sent it off to them and found fuel contamination. Another new VP, filters, tank drop and clean, lines cleaned and new injectors. Truck was great, I have put maybe 500 miles on it at most and getting dead pedal again and P0216. I know the fuel system is clean so what in the heck could be screwing my VP? I love this old truck had it 20 years but I sure can't keep doing this. It has only happened when I am pulling cargo trailer after driving about 30 minutes. Fuel pressure never drops off either I am a solid 14-16.

#4 ·
Did you find any contamination in the filter or bottom of its canister? If your fuel pressure is accurate, low fuel pressure is not causing 0216 timing piston damage. Is there any additional codes? Have you cleaned all battery terminals and grounds thoroughly?

#5 ·
PS, you are not the first or even second to have problems with VP's from Thoroughbred lately.

Reactions: TCDiesel
#6 ·
Biggest part of it last year had a PCM issue so a lot of wiring was looked at. Yeah of course there was filter contamination but the whole system was cleaned. Grounds cleaned

#7 ·
Cleaning the grounds are not good enough if you have the slightest bit of rust or corrosion
In my exp you have to provide direct paths back to the Battery independent of the fenders.
Most pf the eys and lugs will be corroded too and need replacement .
Sorry for the bad news

#11 ·

I would get on the phone with these guys, they are more then willing to help- BTDT
They are not just a vendor. , or middle man
I think you need the center player here??

#12 ·
So little update. I've driven the truck around several times now without pulling the trailer and it has not so much as hiccupped at anything. So it's something with pulling the load and it's not even a big load. 16' V nose trailer, we are maybe 5000lbs all loaded. Anybody have any idea what the hell is up with this thing? I'm starting to think thoroughbred just deals in junk pumps.

#13 ·
Instead of the trailer try it on a steep hill in OD lockup at 45-55mph at/near full throttle unloaded.after that half hour or more. In other words lug it for while.
Have you tried a different apps on it?

#14 ·
So drove the truck without trailer to my son's wrestling tournament this morning. It was about an hour and a half drive and knowing there were some good big hills. So I tried the whole way to replicate. Tried lugging just barely catching OD up hills, nothing. I tried lugging and then just hammering it, nothing. I tried letting it run on cruise, nothing. Then finally. I exit off highway onto a side highway then it finally does it. Dead pedal, rpms slowly fall off it doesn't just go to idle. Fuel pressure steady at 15. Boost of course quits and I pump the pedal and it comes back and then it'll do it again. I haven't pulled codes again yet but I'm sure it probably has a P0216 again.

#18 ·
Can't argue with him, fee to talk to knowledgeable people. Is the current VP on warranty?

#19 ·
It is but I'm sure Thoroughbred is going to try and not cover it I'm pretty well done with them at this point. I've found out their 2 year "new" pump really isn't much new to it.

#20 ·
As Big fish says- if the vendor O Riley will make it a lifetime, then it is a no-brainer to buy from.
Next would be a real rebuilder and skip the middlemen
Blue Chip has always treated me so well and never ever made a dime off me yet, so I have to recommend them.

#22 ·
Did you talk to Doug ?
I am glad you now have it under control, sorry about the problems.

As for me, mine sat in the driveway as a planter until I sorted it all out.
I know the feeling of depression over a stupid tool that is supposed to work for you.
These trucks demand a lot of work for them.
If i is not one thing with these, it is something else.

#23 ·
Didn't catch the name. Now I'm stuck trying to figure out what I want to do because I don't think they are going to honor their warranty and really don't want to be out that on a pump.

#24 ·
If they want to not honor the warranty and it is a legit one post here and tell management here as I think they are a paying advertiser.

we are all allowed mistakes-
it is what we do about it that makes us an honorable business or not

#25 ·
What is Blluechip's price for a standard VP nowadays? Yes the provide a lot of help and information. Not used them myself though. Industrial Injection is a good direct builder if you have one nearby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.