Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just bought a 1994 Cummins, 271k mi. I love the truck and is very clean basically one owner. Unmolested, however after the diesel shop pretty much gave it a clean bill of health all the way around except for the tranny. They said it was somewhat weak. I told them ( diesel shop ) I wanted to tow a 20 ft. fiberglass boat. They said yes it would but don't know how many miles left in tranny. Well, drove it home approx. 6 hrs. did well. But on cold start up and when I try to move it doesn't even have enough power to get itself moving. It will after it warms up. The warmer the truck gets the better it is. I want to either have it rebuilt or find one already done. Seattle area. Does anyone know of a good place to buy/or have one rebuilt? 47rh

Thank you

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do not go to AAMCO or some corporate transmission place like that. I would buy the full rebuild kit with the things you want to go in it. Better servo anchors clutch packs etc... then call some diesel shops on cost to have them do the rebuild.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not go to AAMCO or some corporate transmission place like that. I would buy the full rebuild kit with the things you want to go in it. Better servo anchors clutch packs etc... then call some diesel shops on cost to have them do the rebuild.
Thank you for the advice kind sir!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Start truck in netrual not park. Converter can drain back, dodge transmissions dont pump fluid in park. If this works some shift kits will make trans pump fill converter in park.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I’d check the fluid level too

·
Registered
81 Posts
On a used truck with that many miles. I would drop the trans pan to have a look, change the fluid, and filter before rebuilding.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd highly recommend if you go the rebuild route, get a sonnax zip kit or sure cure kit, I forget which one has all the stuff you want, but I'd at the very least put in the sonnax manual valve and lube regulated PR valves, doing that combo alone allows flow in park, and keeps the lube circuit better flowing.

I rebuilt my red trucks trans with all sonnax valvebody parts, alto red clutches, and a revmax triple disc 15 blade converter.
I highly reccomend going with a 15 blade converter, the 17s are horrible to tow with at least with a stock engine and 3.55 gears like my truck has.

My business is fixing boat and jetski engines, so I tow boats back and forth from my shop to the lake every day all summer basically, and having the alto reds and 15 blade converter it tows like a dream.

My purple truck has a "stock trans" that was supposedly a jasper from about 10-20k miles ago, I did some sonnax stuff like the manual valve and lube pr valve, and replaced the OD clutches that were burnt to a crisp when I got it.
But it has all stock clutches and stock converter and the difference towing is unreal.
The clutches hold, but the converter stall is so high it feels broken after driving the red truck with the 15 blade converter.

But, as everyone else says, the first order of business is drop the pan, inspect, change fluid and filter. and whatever you do, don't overtorque the filter bolts, or pan bolts, thats what killed the OD on that purple trans, pan was overtorqued and warped so it leaked and ran low on fluid.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Start truck in netrual not park. Converter can drain back, dodge transmissions dont pump fluid in park. If this works some shift kits will make trans pump fill converter in park.
This post jogged my memory.. There is an anti drain back check valve in the trans cooling line that keeps fluid in the Torque convertor from draining back into the pan. If this valve sticks open due to debris, sludge, and age. Fluid will drain out of the TC and can cause your problem.
I would check into this first. If you take it to a tranny shop they will just tell you their standard answer." It needs to be rebuilt".
As said. Try starting in neutral. Let it idle a bit to refill the TC then put it in gear.
If it is the anti drain back valve. It will need to be replaced. It should not be cleaned, according to the service manual.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It's just the converter draining back just put it in neutral for a minute or 2. I would change the fuild and filter adjust the bands. When you fill it back up use john deere hygraud in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts