Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Help in my dually purchase

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Hall00 
#1 ·
I would like some advise from the experienced members of this forum. I have sold my 2007 5.9 2500 4x4 with the intent to replace it with the same truck (06-07 5.9) except in dually 4x4. I want to make sure i am not being short sited and overlooking a newer 6.7 truck. Is there a newer (up to 2015ish) 6.7 truck that would be just as dependable (transmission, electrical, axles) as my old truck? I have seen several in my price range (under 30k) that appear to be nice trucks but i do not know much about the newer ones. Is there some that i need to stay away from or some that have proven to be a solid platform? I only tow a 13K lb fifth wheel camper 5-7 times a year for out of the area trips, other than that the truck will be used occasionally and going to deer camp.
Any advise will be appreciated I just want to see that I am not limiting myself in getting a newer truck if i can but still get the dependability of my old 300k mile 5.9.

#2 ·
The newer trucks have much better creature comforts and overall seem to have a good reputation.

2013+ have the DEF/SCR system so they use a lot less EGR than a 2012 and older.

There are drawbacks to the SCR systems, specifically the cost of parts and the fact this can impact driveability with limp mode. Best bet is to run the DEF almost empty and then refill and forget about it for 5k-ish miles until you figure out how much your truck uses. It's about $8-10 for a 2.5gal jug that goes 5-12k miles usually.

Lastly...the price...5.9 4x4 dually trucks here in SE TX are ridiculously overpriced, not sure about where you are though. $5-7k extra gets a truck that is about 6 years newer...for me it's a no-brainer but I know everybody's situation is different.

#3 ·
I would like some advise from the experienced members of this forum. I have sold my 2007 5.9 2500 4x4 with the intent to replace it with the same truck (06-07 5.9) except in dually 4x4. I want to make sure i am not being short sited and overlooking a newer 6.7 truck. Is there a newer (up to 2015ish) 6.7 truck that would be just as dependable (transmission, electrical, axles) as my old truck? I have seen several in my price range (under 30k) that appear to be nice trucks but i do not know much about the newer ones. Is there some that i need to stay away from or some that have proven to be a solid platform? I only tow a 13K lb fifth wheel camper 5-7 times a year for out of the area trips, other than that the truck will be used occasionally and going to deer camp.
Any advise will be appreciated I just want to see that I am not limiting myself in getting a newer truck if i can but still get the dependability of my old 300k mile 5.9.
Something weird is going on... I'm adding to your post! IMO, no. the 6.7s have way more electronics, emissions and a vgt turbo that goes out. I went from a nicely modded 03 HO 6 spd dually to this 12 dually only to get auto and I wanted to try a 6.7. There's pros and cons... I really like the auto and the truck, otherwise, I'd take the 03 back in a flash. My tuned 68rfe is AWESOME and I trust it. I bought it deleted cuz of my very infrequent usage and it's reliable except for ridiculous gear shift safety and mpg sucks. FWIW, Guys say the 15+ def trucks are golden.
Do lots of homework! Craig

#4 ·
Hall00 that is what made me start thinking is because the 5.9 trucks here in central Mississippi are priced high too and I can get a 12-15 dually for just about 5-7k more. The 5.9 2500 I had is the only cummins i have owed and I loved it!! I really have no working knowledge of the 6.7 trucks and which transmissions (wanting automatic and 4x4) and pre/post DEF to stay away from or look for.

BFD the same experience you had with your '03 is the same reason I first started looking for only the 06-07 5.9 models.But the nicer interior features and trim make the 10-15 models more appealing when we may spend 8 hours at a time pulling the camper on long hauls.

Thank you both for the info so far!!!

#5 ·
The 2013+ trucks are really comfy. The 68RFE isn't the tightest in the 2013+ trucks. They did something to the stall speed of the torque converter which seems to cause some shift flare. You are stuck with 3.42 rear ends for the most part, except for the DRW trucks you might find a 4.10/3.73.

As far as the 68RFE goes, its not a bad transmission by no means. We got 480k out of a untuned 68RFE on our 2010 truck. The truck still shifted like new, but the torque converter started dragging. The only symptom was pulling through the brakes while sitting still.

The 2012 is hands down the best 68RFE I have experienced. They updated the torque converter in the 2011.5 and 2012 trucks which will be badged "high output" on the tailgate. The 2012 with tuning shifts very crisp, but it wasn't shabby stock at all.

The 2010-2012 trucks run only EGR for nox reduction. People mention the 2013+ trucks don't run as much EGR due to the DEF/SCR, but if you watch the EGR valve with a monitor they are just as bad as the older trucks were in regards to how open the EGR stays. The 2013+ definitely get better fuel mileage stock though.

#6 ·
Sorry guys I didn't post back sooner; I ended up sticking to the 5.9 as i found a one owner 2006 3500 4x4 with 243k on it. I got a great deal on the truck and put another 5k into it in repairs and upgrades. I am very pleased with the truck at this point but won't prove it till our first real tow in August. Thank y'all for all the information!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.