Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys so I have been a member on this form for awhile just researching trucks for a couple yrs.... Finally I got approved for an older one. It's an 04 silver 2500. I know a lot about these motors from friends and my dad just got a 2013. My credit sucks but that doesn't matter to me. I just don't want to get robbed by the dealer. I got approved for the truck and I'm paying a grand total of 23k by time loan is over. Shop has been really straight forward with me, interior is a 9 out of 10. Body 8 out of 10. Motor has 158k, 6 spd manual. All that's on it is a air intake, 5 inch straight pipe. I live in pa, and I'm driving to NC to get it. I just want to know what to look for, as in problems to check out before I sign my life away. Also kbb booked this truck at 22k and I got it for 20,485. That's for retail selling private party was 18 or 19k. Give me some input guys! Thanks for the help

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to state it also has brand new 35s on it, and just had 2500$ worth of work done today. Tomorrow I will get the parts list, and the mechanics report on the truck. This truck is coming from the biggest diesel truck seller in south eastern U.S.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Check the door weatherstrips as they were problematic in 03-04. Also switch the heater control between floor and defrost a few times and make sure it actually switches each time and without a big delay. The heater blend doors are also very problematic. Make sure the engine is cold when you start it up and watch the tailpipe for excessive smoke upon startup. Also check for excessive smoke while driving. This could either mean it has injector issues OR it has had more work done to it then has been told to you. Listen for loud ticking noises and look for excessive blowby. If you pull the oil cap off while it's running you will see some smoke coming out of it and that is normal if it is simply wafting out. If it is being forced out and is real heavy then there could be serious internal issues.
Other than that, just make sure it drives nice and goes thru the gears without issue. Get it out on the highway and check for vibrations at speed.
Price seems right for the region.

·
Registered
762 Posts
In my experience
check the front end real good grab and shake u joints for play shake tie rod ends
turn key on listen for the lift pump to humm
it isnt gonna shift like a mustang but be sure it goes in gear fairly easy
get to around 45 put in 6th and hammer down feel for any clutch slip
make sure each door lock and window work on their own
wires in doors get cut often and the window lock button solder joints break
Put it in 4x4 please put it in go slow and turn hard on a hard top should feel like the tires are square
thats all I got besides what everyone else has said

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help I'll post pics Monday night when I pick it up! I'm also taking a full monitoring system from my dads buddy... I can run injector tests, and watch live data feeds while driving. I'm also not signing anything until I can check everything over, so this blow by test can you do it while motor is cold? I was gunna run the out of it while I test drive it then park it somewhere and check
For leaks on bottom of motor

·
Registered
110 Posts
no to steal the thread but I have the heater control problem on my truck how do you fix that? Same year 3500

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
You should start a new thread and give some more detail. No way anyone can help you with just that.... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts