Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i need to know which post on the 2 "wait to start heater" solenoids is ground. or does it matter

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
Its just a pull in coil. It doesn't matter which one you use for ground.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its just a pull in coil. It doesn't matter which one you use for ground.

but one side is ground and the other is positive correct?

i guess what i am asking is does the top post's of the coils have a negative or are they both postive fed and postive out? is there 2 grids in the heater or just one with a positive on one side and a negative on the other side? probably not but i have nothing to compare it to....

never mind it has to go from postive of the battery to one side of the coils to the grid heater right?(all positive charge through the coil) (not talking about the activation posts, just the 2 big posts)

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Yep, from the battery to the post and the other post to the heater. That part is just a contact. The others do what you said and just activate the coil to close the contacts. I have a couple of new ones at home if you need me to look at them for any reason. Not sure if there is a diagram in the box with the relay or not.

Stan

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
The grids heaters have their own grounds. All your feeding threw the two big top terminals is positive power. One side from battery positive. The other side to grid heaters.

The pull in coil which is the two small terminals towards the bottom of the relay are not polority specfic.

There are two relays used. The grid heater has two different elements in it. The PCM cycles between both grids during warmup cycle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so that is why there is 2 relays. cool just wanted to make sure, i got to thinking that one side of those was negative and the other postive and i had connected the negative line on the postive battery post(therefore causing my ecu short) but after i posted i think i hunted down the ecu short(blue wire coming up from down under the vehicle(one of the 4 sensors vss/trannytmp/tranny shift/one on top of the tranny shift pointing down) was still shorting to ground(or at least its what fried my ecu i have to get everything back in to find out)
thanks for all your's helps:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts