Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has an '05 auto with cummins. It is all stock accept for a K&N filter and a Van Aeken box. The truck has about 100k on it and suddenly his milage cut in half! He took off the Van Aeken box entirely but it made no difference! Truck doesn't run rough or smoke accessively! Put it on scanner with no codes thrown. Fuel pressure seems good (7000psi at idle- 22000+-) Wondering if injectors are on their way out??? Any thoughts? Thanks!

· Premium Member
792 Posts
sounds like a bigger problem then just winter diesel. i usually see about 100 to 150 km difference in fill ups with winter diesel, but the truck runs longer then normal too idling for a warm up. maybe injectors are starting to have problems,check the oil, maybe even send out a sample, it might be making some oil, diesel getting by the tips or cracked injector body. fuel filter has been changed??

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel filter was changed back in the fall and fuel preasure is good! He used to get 850-900 km on a tank. Now he sees 400-450 km to a tank. I will get him to change his oil and examine it!

· Registered
2,183 Posts
i would say injectors by the way he changes his fuel filter.
If he doesn't put a lot of miles on the truck, there isn't a point in changing the filter. But it would be a good place to start.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
i would say injectors by the way he changes his fuel filter.
Why, looks like it was changed last fall to me. :confused013:

Not sure where your buddy is located, but if he is idling his truck alot he should take that into consideration. Idle =0 MPG.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We R thinking injectors now more than ever! Been doin some reading and it sounds like stock injectors start deteriorating after 100K! Seems like a short life to me for the price of the stupid things! This weekend we will change his oil and see what its like! Checked IAT sensor and its reading ok too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.