Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
one of the ujoints broke and the other is worn really bad in the double cardon joint on the front driveshaft at the transfer case. in replacing the ujoints, there is a ball, spring, and seal between them. i was able to get the ball seal kit but it did not include what i am assuming to be a "dust cover" and mine is a little tore up. hopefully the pics come through. i cannot find this anywhere. i can put it back together like this and maybe fine but wanted to check with the experts here first. any ideas ? or am i ok to proceed with what i have? thanks.

Attachments

· Registered
918 Posts
If you haven't bought u-joints yet, don't. I remember pricing out a front driveline in the past and it's not really worth rebuilding them. I'm pretty sure a complete front driveline from Dodge was a little under $300! Might be worth looking into if you don't wanna screw with your old shaft!

· Registered
284 Posts
If you haven't bought u-joints yet, don't. I remember pricing out a front driveline in the past and it's not really worth rebuilding them. I'm pretty sure a complete front driveline from Dodge was a little under $300! Might be worth looking into if you don't wanna screw with your old shaft!
I new pricing was differant in the US but thats nuts, that drive shaft is worth about $1500 in Canada!

· Registered
317 Posts
Holy crap.....thats expensive. Honestly, I went through 4 stock front driveshafts in about a year and a half. (I Use my truck, not abuse) I finally had a buddy build me one out of 3" tube, and use all 1410 ujoints, both in the CV and at the Pinion. Then I just swapped out the Pinion Yoke. Probably run a guy about 600 or 650 to copy it.

I could figure something out if you were interested.

· Registered
284 Posts
I just replaced mine so we will see how long it lasts (I use and abuse my truck:hehe:)

· Registered
1,043 Posts
I new pricing was differant in the US but thats nuts, that drive shaft is worth about $1500 in Canada!
In that case, I have an extra for $1000, that's a steal. I accept cash and paypal.:party018:

· Registered
284 Posts
Autozone has a complete replacement front driveshaft, IIRC it's less than $200US, and all the joints are greaseable.
do you have to give them your old drive shaft?

· Registered
400 Posts
one of the ujoints broke and the other is worn really bad in the double cardon joint on the front driveshaft at the transfer case. in replacing the ujoints, there is a ball, spring, and seal between them. i was able to get the ball seal kit but it did not include what i am assuming to be a "dust cover" and mine is a little tore up. hopefully the pics come through. i cannot find this anywhere. i can put it back together like this and maybe fine but wanted to check with the experts here first. any ideas ? or am i ok to proceed with what i have? thanks.
If you have a good driveline shop near you they should have the parts or can get them for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.