Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys one of my soldiers has a 3500 common rail 5.9. While I have educated myself a good deal on the 6.7 and the older 12 valve trucks my knowledge of the CR 5.9 is limited and I want to make sure I am giving him the right information. We are currently deployed and he is starting to gather parts for his build once he gets back state side. This is a 6 speed manual truck, crew cab, 4x4, DRW, etc.

His budget for go fast goodies is about 4-5K and he wants the best bang for buck. He does not tow heavy with the truck rarely seeing over 12000lbs and is considering some sled pulling down the road.

I have advised him that a turbo upgrade is probably a good idea since the CR trucks tend to have pretty good fuel systems. Something like a 63 or 64 mm if he wants to go with a aftermarket housing or to contact fleece if he wants to stay in a work stock class. Also advised him that GDP nozzles might also be a good upgrade in something like a 90 or 120 hp trim. For tuning I have told him a smarty or EFI live would be the best option.

He is a smart guy and has general knowledge with diesels and works as a diesel mechanic/wrecker operator however he is young and this is his first time really modifying a vehicle.

Thanks again guys I just want to make sure I am pointing him in the right direction.

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
6.7 is just a more emissioned and bigger displacement 5.9 especially since it is a manual. Sounds like you have him going in the right direction. Needs a clutch for sure. What is his power goal and what year is the truck?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Power goals are around 450-500 whp. And yeah he is upgrading to a south bend single disk.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry its a 2004.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the best combo to get him there. Truck only has 120K on her and is well maintained.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
He wont need nozzles to hit 500hp power goals. EFI live isn't offered for 2004 so he needs a smarty. Your on the right track with your info otherwise. SMARTY, TURBO, MANIFOLD, LIFT PUMP, EXHAUST is a good start..

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info and thanks for clearing that up.

I was under the impression EFI live was coming for the 03-07 5.9s ?.

My personal experience with southbends duel disk clutch on my LB7 duramax was not so great. It held like champ but the chattering and on/off switch engagement was not so great for me.

If he decides to pull in a work stock class I was going to recommend the 63 mm Fleece cheetah and if he doesn't plan on pulling in a work class then something like the Killer B.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Good info and thanks for clearing that up.

I was under the impression EFI live was coming for the 03-07 5.9s ?.

My personal experience with southbends duel disk clutch on my LB7 duramax was not so great. It held like champ but the chattering and on/off switch engagement was not so great for me.

If he decides to pull in a work stock class I was going to recommend the 63 mm Fleece cheetah and if he doesn't plan on pulling in a work class then something like the Killer B.
Since evryone else forgot....THANKS FOR SERVING.
remember the old joke about tomorrow never coming?
same applies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.