Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plugged in the scan tool earlier today. Had it on for about 2 minutes and all of a sudden the screen went blank. Radio turned off, dome light turned off, cruise control don't work. What did I do??? PLease help!

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,246 Posts
look in your fuse box and see which fuses control all of these listed problems, and check them, start with the basics, will it fire up?

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the truck will run, all my guages work, I have a snap-on scanner and I'm from the sheboygan area in Wisconsin, to answer all of the above questions!

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump, bump,

·
Registered
603 Posts
As said above check your fueses try the RUN'ACC and the BATT, they both power the radio and DLC. good luck

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok guys. I figured out half of the problem and it led to the next. FUBAR= Fu**ed up beyond all recognition!! My IOD fuse blows everytime I plug in the scanner. Replace the fuse and the dome light and radio work. NOW, whenever I turn the key on, my parking lights and dash lights go on with the key!! WTF?? Can anyone point me in the right direction?? It would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No one has any ideas? This Dodge wiring is getting me frustrated! Definitely not one of Dodges strong points!!

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:popcorn:bump bump

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
C'mon guys! Someone has to have some sort of idea!!

·
5,246 Posts
did you use the same fuse? a fuse too large can sometimes cause electric surge burning up or melting wires, if two melted wires touch together, can cause lights to come on, and short circuit...

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:thumbsupHad a 10 amp in it before, replaced it with a 10 amp

·
5,246 Posts
ok do you have an after maerket radio?

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, stock radio. Dont listen to it much, would rather listen to the turbo whistle!:lol3:

·
5,246 Posts
ok what about your gauges? are the wired into the dimmer wire the orange/white one, or how are they hooked up for power?

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe they're hooked up to the dimmer switch, not sure, they were in the truck when I bought it.

·
5,246 Posts
ok, it really sounds like you have a bare wire touching, or something crossing up somewhere...

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
HEY, my autozone scanner blew the fuse on my truck every time I plug it in. It was the scanner, had a short in the cord. Get a buddies scanner and see if that one does the same thing. Autozone gave me a new scanner and 2 boxes of fuses, with a 25 gift card for my trouble. They hooked it up to their unit and nothing happened, but when I plugged mine in with them standing there it blew the fuse.

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey tex, that makes a lot of sense to me. There is a wire exposed on my scanner, but its been that way as long as I've had it and its always worked. Now, that may be that problem, but whats wrong with my truck?? I just had the batteries disconnected for about the last half hour and now everything is fine. Still a lot of questions in my mind but its workin now. Thanks for all you help guys. I really appreciate it. If you think of any other ideas let me know!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts