Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has a low speed driveline squeak (squeaky rubber sound) and some weird clunks. It also makes some weird noise when going down a hill in second gear (6sp manual) while using the engine to hold it back. I suspect the rear U-joints so checked them out. They are the origional U-joints (35000 miles) and seem OK but appear to have thrown some of their grease out. The only troubling thing I found was the amount of play in the tailshaft of the transfer case when I push up and down on the drive shaft to check out the U-Joints. How much play is normal here? and could the squeaking sound come from the little rubber dust shroud on the tailshaft housing? Any other ideas?

· Registered
98 Posts
I just went outside and checked mine.Their is no play where the drive shaft goes into the transfer case.I know my truck is older,but I do not think you should have alot of play their.

· Registered
76 Posts
the one that has the grease coming out of it is probably the one squeaking im guessing that it also the rear u joint that exactly what mine did

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.