Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy looking to upgrade my 4" to a longarm set-up but just cannot decide whether to go for the 8" or stick with the 6". If anyone has pics of there trucks with either a 6 or an 8 that would be appreciated, thanks for your help. Ill put some pictures up of my truck let me know if i should go 6 or 8.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
My preference is to not go over 6. To many more issues to deal with at 8 already enough at 6. Driveline issues, clocking t-case, pitman arm and loss of some steering angle possibly, higher cog. Thats just me though. Decide what size tires you want to run then get a lift to fit it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it worth swap out a 4" for a 6" tho. If im goin to all the trouble just go up to 8. I dunno id run a 6 with 37s or an 8 with 38s. Dont wanna go 6 and then wish i went 8

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
It just comes down to taste. Most of your parts will need to be changed out to go a 6" system. However

Your tires will still look good with a 6"
Your track bar and pitman arm do not get changed
Your shocks probably stay the same height

As stated above a few more components to deal with to make it work

My personal taste is I don't like seeing a quad cab truck past a 6" lift. It's almost like all you see are the wheels. If it was longer it would balance out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do agree with u there. Ive seen some 8" that look akward but also have seen some that look really good. Am i gunna notice much of a diff going to a 6?

·
Vendor
1,169 Posts
If you go with a long arm 6" setup you should not notice much of a difference between 4" and 6" of lift. Getting and upgraded/adjustable track bar and combining that with a track bar drop bracket will help with alignment. Also, to get a good ride on any lift over 3" I would highly reccomend long arms. The Carli 6" radius arm system will get you the height, quite components, a great look, and a great ride!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as height increase am i gunna notice the 2", or will i have to go up to an 8" to noitce a substancial difference. I dont want to have driveline issues. I want a good look but with decent ride and minimal driveline issues.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinkin of 38s on an 8". But ive seen some 8" with 37s that looked perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
38's would fill up the wheel well better at the height. As long as you never go off roading in it you would be okay with that big of a tire. I guess I'm used to seeing the wheel well filled up a lot. So seeing a 37" tall tire might look small to me but for you it might be okay..

And why stop and 38 when you can go 39's???? haha

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good Point lol.... But some 6" kits with 37s look stuffed, and have to worry about rubbing while turning when suspension is compressed etc.

This truck looks perfect in my opinion...

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
All the 6" I've messed with have never rubbed with a 4.5" backspacing of course I never ran anything wider then a 9" wide...

If your digging that look then jump on it. Driving a tall truck everyday can get old but from a 6" to an 8" it may not be any different.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is Rize still around?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im runnin an 11" wide rim with 13.5 wide rubber. Agressive sidewalls, and i think 5" backspacing(not 100% sure)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont do any hard off road bangin, just want the lift and to ride decent on the highway.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
The Rize products I've scene looked pretty well built.. However they really didn't provide much for the rear suspension.... I find that addressing the rear with something more then a block is a plus.

The Mexico comment was just what I've heard they moved to. I believe they used to be in El Cajon California. The owner got heavy into running his motorcycles and kind of left a lot of people hanging.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I have a 6 inch short arm lift from ? I bought it with it and 38.50x14.50 xterrains on 17x11 inch wheels and only had a little rub off road. I dont care much for the 5" block in back. Maybe someday get some rearched leafs, but as long as I build my traction bars wheel hop shouldnt be much of an issue. It rides ok, but I couldn't get my truxus m/ts to balance so I went with polymer equal beads, but there is still some vibration from the tires. It'd probably ride better if it had newer/better shocks. I think I'm going to go with 5100's the whole way around and theyd match my steering stabilizers. 6" is plenty for 37's.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish here? From a 4 to 8 would probably be close to 4 more inches plus another 3/4-1 inches from larger tires. But you will probably have to clock you t-case, have more driveline vibration, blow through u-joints quicker, have less steering angle, need a drop pitman, drop trackbar, longer driveshafts, etc, etc. You will still need some of this with a 6 but not as much or drastic and I would bet it will ride alot better, handle better, and perform better offroad with just a 6 and some good meats on long arms. Keep the lift low with enough flex and room for meats it will perform better.

Just my $.02

1 - 20 of 20 Posts