Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i had my friend at the dodge dealer check my boost pressure i maxed a 16.9psi THAT A BIG PROBLEM!!!! i currently have the edge comp module on with boost elbow installed so i should see an average of 32-34 psi and even my boost gauge only reads 20psi at wot please help what could be wrong????:CRY::CRY::CRY::CRY::CRY:

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
leaks some where:thumbsup

·
Registered
151 Posts
does the truck smoke a lot when you get on it?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when i have the edge all the way its will smoke a lil on take off but nothing major im lossing like half the boost i should have somewhere or the turbo isnt making it how do i check for leaks

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
i have the same issue. 22psi, thats it...... edge on 5x5, wastegate line completely blocked off.

i tightened up the intercooler boots this morn, well see if it helps when i take the truck out.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup i completely took off my turbo and all the boots i plugged the wastgate turbo looked and felt fine i checked all the boots im going to do the either leak test later to night i give up after all that work i maxed at 22 psi what gives someone help??

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hx35 turbo

·
2,798 Posts
tightening up all the boots did absolutely nothing..... :CRY::CRY::CRY:

hopefully the fuel pressure will fix the issue, if not, im going hx40 with aftermarket boots

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tightening up all the boots did absolutely nothing..... :CRY::CRY::CRY:

hopefully the fuel pressure will fix the issue, if not, im going hx40 with aftermarket boots
start your truck pop your hood and get a can of either spray it all around the boots and all seals after the turbo if u have a leak the engine will rev up make sure u check around your intercooler im doing this tomorow

·
2,798 Posts
start your truck pop your hood and get a can of either spray it all around the boots and all seals after the turbo if u have a leak the engine will rev up make sure u check around your intercooler im doing this tomorow
better and safer way is to get a pvc pipe cap that fits in the intake tube, put a regulator and air fitting in it, and pressurize the intake system to 7-8 psi. then get out the soapy water.

this way the vehicle is off. i hope to find the time to do this this week.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I must not understand what i just read, if there is any boost at all then the pressure inside of the tubes and ducts and inter cooler would leak OUT and the either wouldn't get into the pressurized system. You need to use a soapy water solution and look for bubbles.
Now on a gasoline engine the intake ( of a non-turbo) is under vacuum and spraying either or WD-40 or any flammable substance would work for finding a leak by causing the engine to speed up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
even if it would suck the ether into the motor its still not smart.theres a reason the air box says not to use the stuff. it can mess things up...

·
2,798 Posts
the other part thats still bothering me is 19psi at 40% throttle then 20psi at 80% 21-22 and VERY occasionally 23 psi ONLY at 99-100% throttle

is it possible that certain year cummins map sensors only can read lower boost numbers?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I would think if it was turbo related, you'd be BELLOWING smoke. I say fuel delivery of some sort. I am also thinking the smoke switch would eliminate the effects of the boost (map) sensor, but not sure on that one. You looked at your fuel filter lately?

PS Don't know if it matters, but I think you have a Hy35 not a Hx35. The boost elbow is for the Hy and the autos come with the Hy for quick spool up due to the quick rev from torque converter slip in an auto (smaller housing=more responsive turbo) The Hx you just turn the waste gate actuator for more boost. Please excuse me if I'm wrong.

·
2,798 Posts
I would think if it was turbo related, you'd be BELLOWING smoke. I say fuel delivery of some sort. I am also thinking the smoke switch would eliminate the effects of the boost (map) sensor, but not sure on that one. You looked at your fuel filter lately?

PS Don't know if it matters, but I think you have a Hy35 not a Hx35. The boost elbow is for the Hy and the autos come with the Hy for quick spool up due to the quick rev from torque converter slip in an auto (smaller housing=more responsive turbo) The Hx you just turn the waste gate actuator for more boost. Please excuse me if I'm wrong.
yes i do have an hy35, i crimped off the wastegate line. yesterday i added a spring to the wastegate, bumped boost to 24 psi and dropped egt's by 300* :hyper: id still like to see more boost though

as far as the fuel filter, brand new airdog, 19psi at the injection pump.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts