Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i went to go fire up the truck this morning and it was actin weird like it didnt want to start like the battery was going dead so i put the chargers on it for a bit went to go crank it up and i crank for a few seconds then made a weird clank sound and started leaking from the back of the motor some where it looks like it somewhere in the head or something, what could this be all input greatly appreciated!

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Do you have a 53 block?

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
So you have ARP head studs? When did you perform this? How much boost are you running?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were on the truck when i bought it, around 50psi. i dove the truck last night and it ran awsome.

·
Registered
963 Posts
There is a frost plug in the block at the back and they corode out, I have changed a few. Fill with coolant wash as best you can, when it drys use a Mechanics mirror and a flashlight. Start at the Thermostat housing and go to the back, I have an air nozzle with a 1 ft copper 1/4 pipe on it that if you have air you can blow the area off. Do not pressurize until you check it out then go up 5 lbs at a time. You do not want to seal off the leak.

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
There is a frost plug in the block at the back and they corode out, I have changed a few. Fill with coolant wash as best you can, when it drys use a Mechanics mirror and a flashlight. Start at the Thermostat housing and go to the back, I have an air nozzle with a 1 ft copper 1/4 pipe on it that if you have air you can blow the area off. Do not pressurize until you check it out then go up 5 lbs at a time. You do not want to seal off the leak.
:ditto: Thats where I'm leaning too. Try to get a good look at all your frost plugs.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could the gasket have been leaking into the back cylinder and it had just filled up with antifreeze and when i went to go start it it forced it out? just thinking

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Could the gasket have been leaking into the back cylinder and it had just filled up with antifreeze and when i went to go start it it forced it out? just thinking
Very doubtful. If the #6 hole was full of antifreeze the starter would have stopped in its tracks and probably made some unpleasant noises.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the more i look at it i think its the head gasket. looks like the heads coming off

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
5 cents to throw in the pot...

Now one of the most forgotten fluids is anti-freeze most people look at it and say "Oh its still green I don't need to change it!" This is wrong and should never happen. Dodge recommends coolant be changed every 30K miles or 36 months. There is a reason for this. The reason is that the pH level changes in the coolant (goes acidic or basic) over time then starts attacking metals that its in contact with. This includes radiator, heater core, freeze plugs, and even head gaskets. Now since the coolant weaken the gasket the stock gasket even with ARP stud failed on you. I've see well taken care of stock engines hit 40-50 PSI without ARP's and not popping a head gasket...

Something to think about...

100K miles later and 5 years on my truck and not all rusted out or lime scale build up... Beat that...:party018:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts