Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my problem. When i break hard or just start the truck my abs light comes on and my brakes go soft. It basically starts to feel like i no longer have power breaks. When the roads were icy this was a big problem cause when the wheels locked up the breaks went and i had to avoid collision many times. I looked at the relays and the fuse but it looks like its been gutted. The female tabs for both of them are not there so theres notihing to plug them into. Do they come like this or did someone gut my abs setup? I dont have the money to take it to a shop so im stuck with the DIY route. If anybody has any info on this it would be great.

Thx Guys :yourock:

· Registered
5 Posts
brake issues

I had the exact same problem years ago on my 96. I actually went thru a fence and still have the dent in the hood. I imediately removed the ABS fuse and never had a problem again. My lights never go off. I thought part of the problem might have been a binding piston caliper as I had to replace them due to other problems. I recently reinstalled the fuse and the lights still stay on, I have been told that the wiring harness to the rear axle gets worn out and can cause the light to come on. I have never figured it out because I prefer no ABS anyway. Let us know what you find.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure what is up with mine. I woluld like to have no abs but all the stuff for it is gone and it still feaks out on me. I still havent figured it out and dont know where to even start. Ill try to look at the wiring going to the rear axle and see what happens.

· GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,525 Posts
did you check to make sure the wheel cylinders in the rear drum arent leaking? they will cause this issue also, happened on my 96, if one is, go ahead and replace both of them, the other will give soon after the first one did once replaced...

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If they were leaking would i be loosing fluid? Ill go ahead and check that for sure. Thx for the tip!

· GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,525 Posts
yes you will loose a little fluid, it will spray out on the inside of the wheels, i just happen to notice mine one day wet on the inside after the breaks were getting soft, it was fluid coming out of the drum...

· Banned
1,096 Posts
yes you will loose a little fluid, it will spray out on the inside of the wheels, i just happen to notice mine one day wet on the inside after the breaks were getting soft, it was fluid coming out of the drum...
:ditto::ditto::ditto:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.