Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just became member yesterday but been reading hear for a week. I just sold my 2007 crewmax 4x4 that averaged 15.8mpg. I put 32000 miles per year on truck and only tow a bass boat. I've owned one diesel and it was a 200 duramax 4x4 and it averaged 19mpg. It had all sorts of transmittion problems and other issues. I usually turn my vehicle yearly. It has goten to the point with fuel prices trucks and suv's are anchors and no longer hold value. I was hoping by going to a diesel I could get back to 19 mpg average and that is better than 15.8 for gas. Also I need the best resale from what I pay to resale. Diesels used to hold better but now I've been told thats out. As far as the difference between the prices I think in the near future they will be about equal and probably about 5 to 6 dolars a gallon. This is crazy but what do you do. Can someone please give me some good advise on what you think about a new Mega or quad 4x4? I like the quad looks better but the room is tight in the back seats compared to other trucks.There quad is more like an extended cab. It seems a lot of people buying the new trucks are trying to already sell them. Plus I love the lift with 35s. You can sure get a new truck now with rebates real high. Please your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
If I had to do it all over again I would get a Mega Cab since I have a little girl. With her in her car seat, her feet rest on the center console. I could live with the short bed for all that space on the inside.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
Between my two roommates trucks, one is a Quad Cab Dodge and the other is a Gmc 4dr Duramax. I dont think there is much difference in the back seats. I have noticed that in the GMC, when i seat in the back set the person in front of me moves the seat up futher than in the dodge. I have also notice that there is alot more room up front on a Dodge than in a Gmc. as my knees hit the dash in a gmc truck.

With that being said, you have owned the gm's in the past i think you will be fine with the quad cab if that is what you like.

i have had the quad cab and now i have a mega. i love it and if i ever need a long bed that bad i will drop the 7k for the long bed conversion. which is never going to happen.

also i am 6'4 320lbs. leg room is something i noticed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
LOVE my mega the room on the inside is amazing... and if you are looking for MPG id say the best route is to try and find a 07 5.9 maybe there are still some brand new ones out there or try and find a low mileage 5.9

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
last week my dealer had a Quad Cab 07, 5.9, larimie, 4wd, short bed, 10k miles on it, auto, white, sealy tx, the only dodge dealer in town

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I went back and forth for months. I finally went with the 5.9 because of the deal I got. If you look long enough the right truck for you will come around. The problem with fuel and diesel values are all of these speculators! "I heard this guy say this and that." Look at the market values and don't get scared off. This is just another drop in the economic cycle. It will recover. :rant: As for the truck I don't think you could go wrong with a barely used 5.9. The mileage will be better than a stock 6.7.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went back and forth for months. I finally went with the 5.9 because of the deal I got. If you look long enough the right truck for you will come around. The problem with fuel and diesel values are all of these speculators! "I heard this guy say this and that." Look at the market values and don't get scared off. This is just another drop in the economic cycle. It will recover. :rant: As for the truck I don't think you could go wrong with a barely used 5.9. The mileage will be better than a stock 6.7.
Is the 5.9 as quite and have a 6 speed auto?

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
The 5.9 is not as quiet nor does it have a 6spd. auto.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the mega with 35's on it i get 14.77mpg hand calculated:$: MEGA :woot:all the way i love the interior room you could put a stripper pole in the back seat and enjoy your own private show:T:

·
Registered
146 Posts
The room in the Mega is awesome! I have 3 kids under 7, no way it would work in a Quad, tried it for a while, it sucked.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i had a quad cab and went to a mega and would hate the thought of going back to the quad . as far as the 5.9 vs the 6.7 : i get about the same mileage on my 07.5 as i did on my 04.5 and the transmissions behind the 6.7's are worlds better than the old ones .

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have the mega with 35's on it i get 14.77mpg hand calculated:$: MEGA :woot:all the way i love the interior room you could put a stripper pole in the back seat and enjoy your own private show:T:
We all know what you have in your back seat though :lol3: I voted for ya!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Had an 06 QC. Thought it might be tight in the back. Ended up getting cramped on long trips. Sold it & got an 07 MC. Best thing I have ever done inregards to a truck. PLENTY of room for gear or people . Both got the same mileage for me. If you are even thinking MC go for it 1st. You WON'T regret it.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lol3: one can dream:drool: thanks for the vote:thumbsup
If I go mega I would have to lift it. I do not think they look good without. Why is there so many selling there new trucks. What do you think will have better resale Mega or Quad? I can get a new truck with rebates now for low 30"s new 08 6.7 4x4 quad big horn or mid 30's for mega. From reading on here it sounds like I need to look for a late 08.

P

·
0 Posts
I dunno. . .You can stuff an awful lot of crap in a std 4 door. :lol3:
And you have an option of 6 or 8 foot bed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I fold down the rear seats in my Mega Cab there is enough room for my two Great Danes to spread out. :thumbsup If I tried that in a QC I'd have two very angry Great Danes! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I love the mega cab although diesel just went up 20 cents overnight. The truck is great and my long legged 11 year old appreciates it too.

·
Banned
885 Posts
You didn't say you have kids or anything and you're pullin a bass boat.... you could get a vw bug for that job....

·
Registered
738 Posts
My friends have an 07 f250 and 06 d-max crew, When we go on our trips to ride dirtbikes we always end up taking my Mega Cab, it has the most room for 4 of 6'+ dudes, I even have 1 of them driving home so I can relax in the back seat after a long day of rippin.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts