Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins - Non-LED tail lights (tradesman)

Maybe someone can help or point me in the right direction. My tail light bulb went out and the dash told me to change it. No problem, I went and got the new bulb and installed it.

The bulb itself works since I tried it in both sides of the truck, and it works on the left side. The right side however, the same side that the bulb went out on, will not flash. The running light works, however when the brake is pressed or the turn signal is used, the light does not blink.

Any ideas?

Ive checked some fuses that seem to be related but they were fine.

FIXED: Its the tail light socket, when swapped from side to side all is well. I will get a new one and all should be well.

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
18,944 Posts
check the wiring harness on the drivers side, under the bed that goes up over the frame, between the bed and frame. IIRC, there have been several instances where that has been crashed, and damaged wires. If that is not the case, you will need to start chasing wires most likely, check to see if you have the light signal on your 7 way (easiest) and then also, at the plug going into your tail light. And then start chasing and checking connections and wires until you get the signal back. Then you will know the issue is between where you find the signal, and the last place that didn't have any signal. find the damaged wire, repair and move along

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd check the harness for power when you press the brake or turn on the signal. May also be a bad break light switch.
Well the brake light on the other side does work. I will check to see what type of power the harness is getting.

check the wiring harness on the drivers side, under the bed that goes up over the frame, between the bed and frame. IIRC, there have been several instances where that has been crashed, and damaged wires. If that is not the case, you will need to start chasing wires most likely, check to see if you have the light signal on your 7 way (easiest) and then also, at the plug going into your tail light. And then start chasing and checking connections and wires until you get the signal back. Then you will know the issue is between where you find the signal, and the last place that didn't have any signal. find the damaged wire, repair and move along
Would the harness already be bad on a 2015? If it comes to this the dealer is going to warranty it! Im trying to avoid a trip to the dealer hah.

2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
18,944 Posts
If you still have bumper to bumper coverage, take it to the dealer and let them fix it, if you do not have bumper to bumper, start checking around the truck and find the issue.

I do not believe ti to be related to the brake light switch, as that would affect both sides equally, not one, and you would not be able to shift out of park as well.

· Registered
179 Posts
I do not believe ti to be related to the brake light switch, as that would affect both sides equally, not one, and you would not be able to shift out of park as well.
My brake light switch was the culprit when my 3rd brake light wouldn't illuminate when i depressed the brake pedal. Didn't affect my ability to shift out of park. Not sure if this is different on a 2015.

2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
18,944 Posts
My brake light switch was the culprit when my 3rd brake light wouldn't illuminate when i depressed the brake pedal. Didn't affect my ability to shift out of park. Not sure if this is different on a 2015.
that's weird, it should have affected both, as well as your rear brake lights, but i could very well be wrong with how they wired and programmed these trucks :confused013:.

generally speaking the BLS is what actuates the ability to shift out of park, so it's odd to have a signal go one place, but no another. But i'll be the first to admit when there is potential for my previous comment to be wrong, my statement was based off of many vehicles, not specifically rams, and how things normally work. lol But do check the harness under the bed, that portion of my comment was specific to 4th gens as that was a problem point with the wires getting pinched and affecting random tail end items

· Registered
179 Posts
that's weird, it should have affected both, as well as your rear brake lights, but i could very well be wrong with how they wired and programmed these trucks :confused013:.

generally speaking the BLS is what actuates the ability to shift out of park, so it's odd to have a signal go one place, but no another. But i'll be the first to admit when there is potential for my previous comment to be wrong, my statement was based off of many vehicles, not specifically rams, and how things normally work. lol But do check the harness under the bed, that portion of my comment was specific to 4th gens as that was a problem point with the wires getting pinched and affecting random tail end items
We also might be speaking about different switches. The brake light switch i speak of is a little white box with a plunger switch that is actually attached to the brake pedal assembly. When you depress the brake, the plunger extends and completes the circuit to illuminate your brake lights. Looks like this

My rear brake light would still illuminate, just not my 3rd brake light.

2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
18,944 Posts
We also might be speaking about different switches. The brake light switch i speak of is a little white box with a plunger switch that is actually attached to the brake pedal assembly. When you depress the brake, the plunger extends and completes the circuit to illuminate your brake lights. Looks like this

My rear brake light would still illuminate, just not my 3rd brake light.
That's one in the same, in most vehicles it won't allow you to shift out of park, unless that switch sends the signal saying you are applying the brake. Generally it is the same signal for brake lights and okay to shift from park. I know our trucks rely on it as well, as when i did my center console shifter swap i had to run the jumper wires for the shifter interlock, and the plug was slightly messed up so it didn't make proper contact, therefore, no shifting out of park.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.