Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I was a member from sometime back, but couldn't remember who I was???
So:
I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins w/6 speed manual that runs good.
I am in the middle of replacing the 454 gas'r in my class A motor home with a 1996 12 valve Cummins.
Things I'm working on:
> Sound proofing the motor home and the engine.
>. have turbo blanket; turbo down tube wrapping;
>. installed the self stick black coating and some aluminum coated foam from Mack trucks in top of that in the wheel wells, around the sides of the doghouse.
> Program the 4L80e for the diesel.
>. shift RPM?
> Exhaust system?
> Rear end may need changed from 4.56 to?
> Drop fuel tank (full) and replace high pressure (gas) injection pump.
>. hopefully I haven't blown the IP, had 70 psi at the lift pump at 1st
>. did reinstall the 5 psi regulator.
>. probably go back to the 'blue' Holley pump.
Bet you're already bored to death with me.

·
Vendor
8,300 Posts
Welcome! :peelout

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Welcome bud, you live just up the road from me, lol, I live off Choctaw Rd. and S.E. 59th St.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome, not bored at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm still at this conversion. Can't get it to go over 2000 RPM.

Replaced the transfer pump, didn't help.

Got my 'blue' Holley pump and pumped the fuel out of the tank into a 55 gallon barrel.... Took 33 minutes to fill the 1st one. Dropped the tank, pulled the gas EFI pump out and re-plumped to draw out of the drain plug. In front of the tank I mounted my first fuel filter between the tank and the Holley 'Blue' pump then into the 5 psi regulator. With another 'blue' pump the fuel goes back into the tank. Still will not go past 2000 RPM.

Pull the line off the engine and the regulator, blow air through. Put line back on regulator and stick other end in 5 gallon bucket. It's full in 7 minutes.

It goes like a bandit to about 1900 rpm then it has no power. Let off to let it shift and off it goes. If I keep my pedal to the medal RPM will climb some, but the EGT goes to 1400 degrees

The best pressure I get out of the lift pump is 12 pounds that drops as the rpm rises.

So, what to do now???????

Is there a fuel pressure regulator in the IP that maybe stuck?
Replace the injector pump?

I really don't know if this engine was good when I bought it. In the farm pickup, they may not of noticed any problem if it was driven like some farmers I've followed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been a while sense I've been here. That is 3 back surgeries and 3 knee surgeries hand elbow/wrist surgery and a couple other I can't remember. But I've been busy.
Got the engine in: 3000 rpm governor spring kit, AirDog fuel pump, changed the Turbo with one off a 2001 24v, went to straight 4" exhaust pipe.. Gave up on the 4L80e tranny and got the 6 speed T1000 Allison. Tried hotter fuel stick, didn't work. Tried a #10 cam plate, didn't work. Wasted a lot of money listening to 'experts' on internet forms.
Been looking for someone who really knows about the 12v Cummins. Found one in all places a home and garden show. Took 3 months before I got him to look at if.
Now my problem: . My first trip to Colorado(up hill all the way). Low boost, hIgh EGT, high engine temp, low power.
His recommendation: Loose the water/air intercooler-not big enough to handle a diesel. bigger radiator(what I get for listening to my local 'expert' that makes a lot of money 'tuning' cars/diesel trucks) and a better fitting fan shoud
So, newer radiator and air/air intercooler was ordered. Then the Wuhan flue struck.and no parts for the last 6 months.
Went by the shop yesterday and they got the radiator and intercooler. Was checking the P-pump timing-was at 7 degrees, now a 20 degrees. I read how to do this but I didn't think it was something I wanted to try by myself. When I change the governor springs I replaced all the springs with the new springs in the kit, Well now I learn I should have used the old outer springs. Least I did keep the old ones.
I've probably spent as much over the last 4 years on the wrong stuff to fix the problem that was caused by the wrong parts in the first place.
He thinks I need an adjustable fuel cam plate, 4000RPM governor spring kit, new bigger valve springs. I think I'll NOT do any of this.
Now I need to get in contact with the people I bought the control system from to change the shift points on the transmission.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts