Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is buying a huge horse trailer, 17,500 unloaded and is planning to put his jeep and rhino in it as well as horses at seperate times. He already has nice 5.9 3500 probably 2006 model and a ford 6.0 3500. He is thinking about trading in the ford for a 6500 Kodiak with a sleved isuzu diesel not duramax. IMO he should modify the cummins and I think the trailer brakes will stop it. What do yall think? He says a friend that has a kodiak can get 11mpg probably at 22000 lbs and I told him it will get that with the cummins he has aspecially if modded. He should also get rid of that ford paper wieght... He was also thinking about the f550 but he was shocked when I told him they put the 6.7 cummins in dodges now, different trans tho. Any opinions???

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would get the bigger truck...kodiak or something....just because you could pull it with the 3500....doesn't always mean you should. When you are pulling that kind of weight I think the piece of mind would be having a bigger pulling vehicle

·
Registered
586 Posts
Is the 3500 a DRW truck? If so, try that for a bit and see how it does, weak points will be the trans and clutch. If not have a look at the Dodge 5500 cab & chassis rig.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,523 Posts
I would get the bigger truck...kodiak or something....just because you could pull it with the 3500....doesn't always mean you should. When you are pulling that kind of weight I think the piece of mind would be having a bigger pulling vehicle
agree with this...

or look at the c&c 5500. thats quite a bit of weight even for a 3500 drw.

·
Registered
70 Posts
my horse trailer wieghts 14000 with a couple horses in it its 17,000.. i pull that with my dually all the time... a few times a year i pull that trailer with 10 to 12 horses in it, which im guess at arround 24,000 to 25,000.. it pulls just fine doesnt seem to work the truck at all and is very stable.... i would def. give the dually a whirl i think that it would do just fine... unless you plan on pulling that kinda weight everyday... just my .02 cents

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, he isnt going to pull all the time so I think his truck can hadle it. We are both pullin 2 jeeps each with our trucks this weekend from texas to arkansas so he will get a good sense of how it tows long distance up and down hills. He is just the kind of guy who likes to throw his money around so he will probably get something from a kodiak to a 18 wheeler.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I love my CTD too but if I had to move a lot of weight on a regular basis, I'd go for the bigger truck. Heavier duty brakes, trans, bearings, steering, the enchalada. Now that Dodge has the bigger truck line I might outfit a cab and chassis with a bed specific to towing like a wreacker bed without the winches etc. Would look cool for a 5th wheel or gooseneck setup. Besides, with the CTD still available in it, you could still do all the mods you want!

·
Past IL VP
1,431 Posts
well not sure what the laws etc are where ya'll are but another thing to keep in mind is if you move up to say a kodiak then you will be liscensing a bigger vehicle etc. I know in lovely Illinois, you could drive 2 duallys in the ground a year and still afford to NOT drive a bigger vehicle!

I've pulled many a big load w/ my Duallys! as long as the trailer brakes are up to snuff! I wouldn't be too concerned. if that guy is getting 11MPG w/ a Kodiak I know the Dually will ge that! I dont' pull this load everyday but I scaled 43,650 lbs w/ my dually 36 ft trailer and 38ish fats! stopping was a bit of a concern....... but I could run where ever! it strained a bit... but nothing bad!

my pennies and then some!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts