Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend my brother is going to borrow my truck and pull a horse trailer with 3 horses on board. Probably a couple hundred mile round trip.
I'm gonna say the trailer empty is probably 5,000 - 6,000lbs and three horses at 2,000lbs each ... I'm looking at a total probably hugging 12,000lbs.

Since he knows nothing about diesels and is just going to load up and drive, I want to protect my truck best I can since I'm not going to be with him.

I'm currently running the XRT Pro, HD Turbo Agg tune on Wild setting (delete pipe) with Overdrive Software.

Pulling this kind of weight... should I turn it DOWN? And if so to what?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By stock your meaning "No Power" correct?

To clarrify. I know he's not going to be drag racing from stoplight to stoplight. Plus he will have 3 LIVE and very expensive animals in the trailer that do not belong to him. So I know he'll be pussyfooting it down the highway at about 55.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Put it to stock power. 350HP and 650 ft-lbs is more than enough for the weight he'll be pulling. There is no point to even risk it at all.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Normally, when running a tuner on one's truck and your towing, you use a lower or lowest setting to make sure you don't run your Exhaust temps. too high. As stated earlier, If I had a mod on my truck and someone else was going to use it and tow with it, I'd tell them not to mess with the tuner at all. Again, if towing and you use a more aggressive setting, you run the risk of higher exhaust temps and possibly causing damage to your truck.

·
Registered
8,732 Posts
some do and some dont..... there is plenty of power stock but having all of that done I would put it on a lower tune and you will be fine. Hauled much more weight than that in all my truck all tuned...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True True...

Hell for 10 minutes of my time to switch it to No Power I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
the xrt pro is not on the fly? are there custom tunes out for it yet?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No the XRT is plug in... tune... unplug and store away. ( 10 minute job )
I do believe it has the same Custom Tunes as the BM and MM.
Like I said right now I'm running the custom HD Aggresive Turbo tune on Wild.

·
Registered
860 Posts
i would load the custom mild non agressive turbo tune and put it on no power, and if you can set defuel limits on the thing put egts at like 1300 and 30psi boost and tranny like 180 or 200 idk whats a good idea for an auto

·
Southern Idaho VP
1,578 Posts
Just set it to stock power. Unless you like paying for somebody else's fun..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts