Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, New to the Diesel world. Been around them a lot but never owned one and don't know that much about them. I am learning a lot being here though. I'm looking at an '06 2500 quad cab heavy duty. So my question would be what makes the heavy duty version "heavy duty"? What are the differences between it and the others. Thanks

kevin

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
:welcome: There's a lot that goes into "heavy duty." I just think they slap that badge on to distinguish from 1/2 ton trucks. You came to the right place though. Once you get a Cummins, you'll never go back!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
There is no non HD 2500.. if that helps. All 2500 - 3500's are "HD"

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So then some of them have the "Heavy Duty" badge and some don't? Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
i have also seen seperate parts listings for a HD 2500 and just 2500...

·
Tennesse Chapter President
1,614 Posts
Mine used to be a "heavy duty" then I took off the badge :lol3:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Someone correct me if i am wrong but it is a bigger turbo, basically everything is bigger.

·
Registered
60 Posts
HOLD ON, HOLD ON..

I have a 05 2500 HD 6 speed 4.10 gears my coworker has a 05 5 speed 3.55 gears non HD. His engine has the same numbers. But no LSD and he has the 5 speed. He bought his new and it never had a HD on it. He also has one less spring than I do in the rear. Other than that same truck.

I might get him off the line but after 110 MPH he is gone and I am stuck at 110

·
Registered
434 Posts
It is my understanding that all 3/4 and 1 ton vehicles are H.D. They all have different options such as gears and speads. Dodge started puting HD on all vehicles after 2005.5. also, they added the dodge head in the middle of the tailgate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Okay that explains it. Mine is a 05.5 and his is a early 05. Mine does have the head and his does not.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
HOLD ON, HOLD ON..

I have a 05 2500 HD 6 speed 4.10 gears my coworker has a 05 5 speed 3.55 gears non HD. His engine has the same numbers. But no LSD and he has the 5 speed. He bought his new and it never had a HD on it. He also has one less spring than I do in the rear. Other than that same truck.

I might get him off the line but after 110 MPH he is gone and I am stuck at 110
Only the 1500 regular and quad cabs come with a 5spd auto and 3.55 gears.
The mininum gear ratio for the HD was 3.73 back then.

MikeyB

·
Registered
71 Posts
Basically, what happened was this........ When Dodge came out with the 3rd gen trucks back in '03, they wanted a way to differentiate between the 1500 (1/2 ton) and the 2500/3500 (3/4, 1 ton) trucks, just as Ford had been doing since '99 with the F-150 and the Super Duty. So, they couldn't go calling it the "Super Duty" for obvious reasons, and came up with 'Heavy Duty'.

There is no 'light duty' 2500, to my knowledge, from Dodge. The only real difference among the 2500/3500 lineup would be the rear axle on the Hemi is a 10.5 while it is a 11.5 on the Cummins. And that is simply for the reason that Dodge would be replacing grenaded axles behind the Cummins if there wasn't something strong enough to take that kind of torque.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. That explains a lot. :beer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts