Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've bought the power/heated tow mirrors and have read the numerous threads about how to splice the new mirrors with the old plug so that the factory power option still works. That's great, and I'm going to do that as soon as my truck get back from getting painted, but since the mirrors have the heated option, I'd like to utilize it!

So you guys out there who have the electrical know-how, please show us electrically ignorant fellas how to do this:doh:! I'm sure it's as easy as running some wires, mounting a switch, a resistor, and finding an open location in the fuse box, but I'd like to hear and see from someone who knows what they are doing! They'll also need some kind of timer right? Or I guess just a light so that we know to turn them off. Also, would it be best to use a six-pin plug for both the mirror and truck, so that the wires are connect through a plug?

I think I'm not the only one who wants to do this and I hope you understand my questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!:yourock:

Thank you,
Nick

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone heated their mirrors yet? I know it can be done, but please walk me through it!

Thanks again,
Nick

·
Registered
13,852 Posts
what mirrors are you using? are you trying to put 3rd gen mirrors on 2nd gen bases? why not just buy a pair of KookVue power/heated mirrors for the 2nd gen? they bolt on and plug right in. If your truck doesn't have the setup for heat, you can add the feature

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what mirrors are you using? are you trying to put 3rd gen mirrors on 2nd gen bases? why not just buy a pair of KookVue power/heated mirrors for the 2nd gen? they bolt on and plug right in. If your truck doesn't have the setup for heat, you can add the feature
Yes I have the KoolVue's that are heated and power. And since they have the heated element in them, I can use it if someone tells me how to wire it up.

They do not plug right in for 94-97 trucks, but I know how to splice the three wires to make the adjustably work, thanks to this forum.

I'd like to use the heat, thus the reason for the thread. Have you added heated mirrors to a truck that didn't come with them? If so, I'd like to know how to do the same for my '95.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
556 Posts
well on mine i ran from a fuse block 12v constant with a 5amp fuse to a illuminated switch. from the mirrors there should be two black wires for the heating elements from each mirror crimped all four together to one wire to the switch. switch lights up idk if i did it right or wrong. winter will tell me.
hopefully someone else can chip in

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the kind of info I was looking for CTD_Dually! I didn't know why there were the two black wires for the heating element, I thought one was for power and one for ground, but I didn't know. Are yours warm? I know that on my 05, I could feel them heat up if I touched the glass.

Thanks again,
Nick

·
Registered
556 Posts
i think 1 wire would be for the main glass and the other for the blind spot mirror and it may get the ground from the plug but thats jus me. i did try the touch and feel but i didnt do it for too long. give me a rough estimate on how long (if u can remember) u left the heater on and ill give it a shot again and ill get back to ya

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think the blind spot mirror has a different element, because when I would turn them on in my 05, they would just make a circular pattern in the main glass. I haven't looked at these behind the glass to see if there is a different element.

They took about 5 minutes to heat up.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
601 Posts
If I am not mistaken you should be able to put a ohmmeter on the wires coming from one mirror to see if they are both indeed the same element or for separate ones.

If you get a reading, you got one circuit and one of those needs grounded.
If you get an infinite ohm reading then they are parts of two separate circuits.

I am in the same boat here though with the heated mirror wiring. I want to do it to my 3rd gen but wanted to see what was involved wiring wise first. Good luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
i think 1 wire would be for the main glass and the other for the blind spot mirror and it may get the ground from the plug but thats jus me. i did try the touch and feel but i didnt do it for too long. give me a rough estimate on how long (if u can remember) u left the heater on and ill give it a shot again and ill get back to ya
AFAIK, there is no common ground going into the plug. The +/- used to run the motors swap- no constant - on any of the 3 wires. The spot and main glass elements are paralleled in the mirror body- The two black wires power both.

But an ohm meter will confirm or deny what I'm saying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts