Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heater in my 01 is stuck on defrost. I can turn the knob but nothing happens. what parts do i need and how hard is it to change. Thanks my feet are cold.

· SUPER MODERATOR
1,907 Posts
Is it blowing a good amount of air on the other settings.

My heater in my 99 sucked the heater core was plugged solid after a cleaning it blew decent heat.

· Registered
1,571 Posts
If your getting good hot air dont worry about the heater core its fine. It sounds like you have a vacum leak. There are doors in the big air box under the dash that your heater core and evaporator sit in. There is one door that switches from a/c to heat that is run with an eletric motor on the bottom of the box. But all the rest of the doors are run off of little thingy's that are vacum driven. youll have to look and try to get to all of them, one of the lines has probibly fallen off or broke. Pull tha dash bezel off and the a/c controls. the lines plug into the back of the switch that controls where the air goes. I believe the yellow one is the one your looking for. It goes to a door that is behind the radio that controls b/t defrost and everything else. hope this helps

· Some-Sho Some-Go
1,650 Posts
Trace your vaccum line from the pump they usually break on the top of the fire wall.

· Registered
532 Posts
pull the knob off and look on the back. they are made out of plastic and sometimes break. but it still feels like its turning but its really not.

· Registered
5,648 Posts
if your heater selector is stuck on defrost 9 outta 10 times its a loss of vacuum some where, make sure the hose was not knocked off at the vacuum pump, happens all the time, if you are working in and around the vacuum pump, also as mentioned up near the fire wall,

start at the pump and follow the lines

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks I'll try that. if it doesnt work i'll be back for more questions.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i found the problem. the vaccuum line came off like you said but it cam off when i took the airbox lid off to give it starting fluid. thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.