Cummins Diesel Forum banner

heater core replacement

2005 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Brian01
OK, I've been reading the forums for a while now with regard to changing out the heater core, now that it's getting cold the time has come to change it out. I have the fog/mist coming out of the vents and the top radiator hose is stone cold even with the temp gauge reading 190* so i think its time to swap it out. Pass side floor is dry but if I turn on the defroster the windshield gets coated with antifreeze film. I was wondering if this job has already been done on my truck? I'm the third owner and it has 140k its a 1997 2500 4x4. The reason I ask is that I already have heater hose running from the engine hard lines directly through the firewall and I wasn't sure if this indicates that someone has already been in there? I thought the heater core hard lines would have come through the firewall and been connected with heater hose under the hood from the core lines to the engine lines?
1 - 2 of 11 Posts
My .02¢… just replaced my heater core bout a week or two. Its a job no doubt. But not as bad as everyone let's on... here's what all I done. Pop the dash bezel off. Took off battery terminals. Took airbag out. Dropped steering sector. Popped off the kick panels, near them on both passenger and driver side there is a bolt that holds dash up. Loosen them.. take bolts out along top of dash, near windshield, took cup holder and shifter cover loose. pull dash forward. Took little brackets off that hold core and core lines down. Core itself will not lift out with the tubes going through firewall...here's what I done...easy fix...take the rubber lines off under hood of course. Just bent the core tubes until the broke off right next to the core...pulled it out.no problem... on the new one I took a hacksaw n cut the lines down tojust a few inches. We t to auto store n bought new hose. 4 ft is plenty. Drip the new core in and put brackets back on. Tear out the little plastic piece that the lines go through on firewall...run the new hoses through and put em up on the core lines...clamp and put it all back together...
See less See more
Yeah MK, I know, but was just easier to cut n slide er in. lol
1 - 2 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.