Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok tonight went to turn on heated seats and wheel and they lit up, looked down a couple senconds later and they were no longer lit. So I hit them all back to on again and again they become unlit in a few seconds. Wtf?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
If one of the heaters is drawing to much it may be causing the relay or circuit breaker to get hot and shut down ,coll and work again, although in your case the steering wheel is also shutting down, i would think it was a seperate circuit from the seats. I will look at a wiring diagram and get back to you.

Edit: Can't get into Shopkey from home, just got new computer and can't remember my dang password :doh:, good thing i wrote it down at the shop, i go to town here in a bit so i can get it then

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If one of the heaters is drawing to much it may be causing the relay or circuit breaker to get hot and shut down ,coll and work again, although in your case the steering wheel is also shutting down, i would think it was a seperate circuit from the seats. I will look at a wiring diagram and get back to you.

Edit: Can't get into Shopkey from home, just got new computer and can't remember my dang password :doh:, good thing i wrote it down at the shop, i go to town here in a bit so i can get it then

Thanks!

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
So it looks like the wheel and seats are using a common TIPM(Totally integrated power module). There may be a Body control code stored in your system. The code will start with a B. If you can retrieve a code i can help pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Never had that issue with mine. Sounds like too much power is being pulled and it's kicking the circuit. Will each heater work independently? If so, start adding heaters until it kicks. Vary the combo and see if there is a common problem, i.e., every time you turn on the right seat it kicks off. This will help you isolate where the issue is.

If there isn't one specific location causing the failure, then it's an overload issue within the circuit and should be addressed by the dealer.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
The heated steering wheel wiring is fed through the heated seats module. If both are taking a dive on you, a bad heater or the module could be the cause. Not sure if you can turn one or the other on at a time, but give it a try if you can. If one will stay on and not the other then you have tracked it down. If neither, then the module is more than likely the cause.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts