Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 2wd auto IFS
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm waiting for parts for the transmission swap, I drove my truck the other day. 23 degrees outside. I used auto start to warm the truck up. About 15 mins or so of idle time. I get out to the truck and it's really not much warmer. Truck has a brand new radiator, thermostat and water pump. I know plugging it in will warm up faster but honestly it's not that cold yet.
When driving on the highway, the truck feels warm at the vents but it doesn't really ever get "warm" in the truck. Definitely warmer inside than outside tho.
Is there anything that can be done to get more of a hotter heat within the cab? I will say I do plan on covering the grille but unsure how much to cover.
Also the vapor barriers in both doors have been removed for some time now due to other owners of the truck. Never had it when I bought it. I do plan on doing something about that temporarily this year.
Any other advice? Tennessee usually isn't too cold but it's still got a pretty good chill inside the truck even after 20mins of highway driving. It usually doesn't get a really good comfortable temperature till about 5-10 from work. Oh and can someone show me how to add a signature (Tapatalk user).

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Idling doesn't generate too much heat, and I wouldn't expect it to get real toasty for a while, but 15 minutes should probably do it unless it's so cold out it's losing more heat through the oil pan than it's generating. Best to just get moving. Blocking the grille won't do much either unless your thermostat or coolant bypass aren't working correctly, which may be the case. There shouldn't be any coolant flow through the radiator until the thermostat comes up to temp. If the temp gauge looks like the engine is up to temp, but you're still not getting much hot air out the vents, your heater core may be clogged up, which isn't terribly unlikely in a 20+ year old truck. Definitely some threads around about cleaning it out. Lastly, using the recirc setting can help get hotter air, but of course then you can't use defrost or anything. I think some folks in cold climates have propped the recirc door open so they can use the defrost/footwell settings.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So my recirculating door works which is good. However when I use it, all my windows get humid foggy unfortunately. I'm pretty sure coolant does as it should however I haven't researched enough on the coolant bypass, so yeah there's that haha. The great feels a little bit less than hot at the vents. I'd say about normal. Now that I'm writing this, my vents don't blow strongly. Even when moving the recirc door. Prolly will pull the blower motor out to check it and make sure it's not gotten debris in it. I just hate to do anything with the dash and bezel piece cause like everyone's truck, it's brittle and no one makes them. Stupid caps and stuff like that but nothing that looks great and trash. Hopefully more people will get into this conversation. Would love to hear how the northern guys keep there trucks warm inside.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The coolant bypass is the small hose going from the head to the thermostat housing. The 'nipple' on the head is actually a check-valve, it allows coolant to flow freely around the thermostat when the engine is not running (to ensure air doesn't get trapped while filling), and closes under water pressure when the engine is on. If you're having trouble with the engine itself not warming up, the valve may be stuck open, but once the coolant is up to operating temp, it wouldn't have any affect on the cab heat.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope don't have that issue. Just the normal temperature Cummins swing lol. Although the new thermostat seemed to help a bit with the swing.
But I mean the heat seems normal just can't feel it that great in the cab.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Hopefully more people will get into this conversation. Would love to hear how the northern guys keep there trucks warm inside.
Yes I'm north of you, but winter is rain and some more rain. Not as much as Seattle though.
Every ten years or so we get a few inches of snow. And then it rains again and it's gone.

I've owned my truck in it's current state for sixteen years and have changed the cardboard a few times.
It's in place all year round. During the summer I cut an eight to ten inch hole in it. No fan what's so ever.

But I don't tow heavy. An eight foot slide in camper and or a small zodiac.
Winter is chilly in the cab. It's hard to hold onto the aluminium shifter knob.

One time it got to two hundred and fifteen degrees, but that was after twelve
consecutive pulls on a dyno. Took a long time to heat it up. :D

It's common knowledge that a mechanical fan will move more air than electrics.
You'll have to make a judgement call. Mine was to leave the twin electrics under the
bench and go with nothing.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
i have a remote starter on mine. also have the 3 cyllinder idle and auto high idle when cold. i have a 1200W electric heater in the cab along with the factory radiator heat. so on RS if below 30F the electric heater powers at 600W and high idle kicks on. if under 15F the 3 cyllinder kicks on and the electric heater runs at full 1200W. if engine temp reaches 100F and RS is still active the blower motor will power on and then shuts off for manual control upon remote start shut down.
i also have my wiper motor wired to aux on the remote start so it will activate from my remote or phone if i want to clear snow with out having to go outside.
the defrost auto triggers with remote start under 35F as well.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
i pulled my hvac system and resealed it with weather stripping and hvac tape. i also installed a small filter in my cowl for cabin air. i have a coolant bypass on mine, goes from rear of head (freeze plug) to thermostat neck on front of engine. prevents cavitation of heated coolant on cylinder 6 under heavy load.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you are gonna idle your truck for that long which I understand in cold weather, I would idle it at 1000rpm with like a heavy object on the throttle pedal like a brick. It will also warm up the engine up faster without damaging it. Not really good on the engine when its idling low for very long (15 minutes+)

Reactions: ddurr92

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
my truck goes to auto high idle when the engine is below 120F. mine is a vp44 so i just set digital limits but a small actuator with a PLC would easily handle this with out needing to put a brick on your pedal.

·
Registered
213 Posts
my truck goes to auto high idle when the engine is below 120F. mine is a vp44 so i just set digital limits but a small actuator with a PLC would easily handle this with out needing to put a brick on your pedal.
12 valves are mechanical diesel engines so no ecms/electronics to high idle with.

Reactions: 24hrsparkey

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, you might be able to high idle with cruise control, my cruise control doesn't work on my truck so I don't really know if that will work.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I would idle it at 1000rpm with like a heavy object on the throttle pedal like a brick. It will also warm up the engine up faster without damaging it.
I use a version of one of these. I put a small point in the end that sets in the grooves on the fuel pedal.
I primarily use it as a brake pedal depressor when at the boat launch. (y)

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My truck is completely mechanical. No cruise will high idle. The issue really is when driving down the road I don't feel the heat that much..

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are gonna idle your truck for that long which I understand in cold weather, I would idle it at 1000rpm with like a heavy object on the throttle pedal like a brick. It will also warm up the engine up faster without damaging it. Not really good on the engine when its idling low for very long (15 minutes+)
I usually auto start in the morning when I do drive it. I don't think I could place a bar on the throttle and have the truck auto start. Risk of throwing a rod lol.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
you could use a short throw solenoid off an aux POC from your remote starter. it would allow you to set a tempature to depress the throttle at so as to give you 1200rpm below a set temp

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
as for low heat while driving. id check the seals on your hvac system. mine were worn to ****, lost lots of heat into the dash

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It doesn't take long for things to veer away from the original topic.
We usually make it well into the second page though. :unsure:
Couldn't agree more. But honestly it shows good communication and community help. Just glad to have it!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts