Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Ram 3500 5.9 HO
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this goes here but move if necessary. In the process of swapping my engine and have a question or 2. Originally I intended on installing a fleece coolant bypass to help with better control of engine heat. No I don’t want to install any other product I’ve seen the debate. What I’m wondering if does it completely render my exchanger useless? I have no real need for it other than that I love in northern Utah and early morning cold starts are a thing.

But I was intending on ordering some braided cooler lines to replace the fragile aluminum ones. I’ve noticed they offer kits that are straight up replacements and ones that bypass the exchanger.

So here’s my question. If I opt for the coolant bypass do I need the trans cooler lines that bypass the exchanger or just the normal ones. For reference full send diesel is the one that makes the line kits. I’m pretty new to this and other even found out what an exchanger was by doing this swap. I intend on replacing the lines either way I just want to make sure I order the correct kit if I do opt for the coolant bypass as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,625 Posts
I have no real need for it other than that I love in northern Utah and early morning cold starts are a thing.
That's not a need for the exchanger either, actually. The only reason to keep it would be towing so heavy that you need it to keep fluid temps from spiking, which really is if you don't have an aux. cooler.

Reactions: Daisyland

·
Registered
2004 Ram 3500 5.9 HO
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not a need for the exchanger either, actually. The only reason to keep it would be towing so heavy that you need it to keep fluid temps from spiking, which really is if you don't have an aux. cooler.
So here’s my next question and it’s probably self explanatory. I ordered new lines that don’t include the bypass but connect to the original ports on the heat exchanger. They’re braided with the required an fittings. I want to bypass the exchanger. Can I just get a piece of 4” line with the appropriate male an fittings and connect the 2 pieces of line to that essentially splicing the 2 lines together? Will it flow correctly done like that is basically what I’m saying. Also the new engine is from a manual so the heater hose is already routed how it’s supposed to be so no issues worrying about that.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yeah, you can splice the two lines together. You would have probably been better off with -AN conversion fittings on the transmission and cooler and then just run a single stainless braided line from the trans to cooler and then another single one back.

·
Registered
2004 Ram 3500 5.9 HO
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, you can splice the two lines together. You would have probably been better off with -AN conversion fittings on the transmission and cooler and then just run a single stainless braided line from the trans to cooler and then another single one back.
I just got it as a kit and for simplicity and time I didn’t want to get both lines custom. I’ll probably do that down the road but it’s still better than the solid lines the truck comes with. I twisted one trying to get a fitting loose so I needed new one anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts