Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, has anyone had issues with the ax plug in there radio getting wore out and not working properly? Dodge is telling m the only way to fix it is buy the entire radio for 700 dollars and send my old one back in to them. I was wondering if anybody knows if that plug is actually replaceable instead of me having to buy a new headunits OR is anybody running an aftermarket one? I would get one if it was worth it. I was looking into the ones with gps in them to eliminate some clutter / wires hanging in my truck but I don't know that much about electrics in this department so what's good?

·
Registered
592 Posts
What are the symptoms? Does it just cut in and out, not work at all, or work when you move the wire around? If it cuts in and out or works when you move the wire around you might try a high quality/brand wire, sometimes cheep wires aren't made to spec. I highly doubt that the plug can be replaced.

You can buy factory navigation radios on ebay if you want to upgrade.

Cory

·
Registered
426 Posts
My truck is 2 years old today, and I'm on my 3rd aux cable (not plug, cable.) I'm not buying cheap cables, they just aren't lasting with daily use. Start getting nasty crackle and static, then a few weeks later it's dead unless you hit JUST the right spot when plugging it in. New cable = another 10-12 months of goodness.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend dropping a few bucks on a new cable before making any high-dollar decisions.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Get an aftermarket setup. That's what I'll be doing

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are the symptoms? Does it just cut in and out, not work at all, or work when you move the wire around? If it cuts in and out or works when you move the wire around you might try a high quality/brand wire, sometimes cheep wires aren't made to spec. I highly doubt that the plug can be replaced.

You can buy factory navigation radios on ebay if you want to upgrade.

Cory
It works if I spin the cable when its in the radio and it wont pick it up in the radio sometimes. It feels like it has a weak connection is week when you plug it in.I'm using a monster cable what are high quality cables. Like I said I'm not to good in this field

·
Registered
592 Posts
It works if I spin the cable when its in the radio and it wont pick it up in the radio sometimes. It feels like it has a weak connection is week when you plug it in.I'm using a monster cable what are high quality cables. Like I said I'm not to good in this field
I'd say it's not the cable if you're using a monster cable. I'd bet something is broke inside but I doubt it can be fixed easily. If it was me I'd try to find a nav unit on ebay and "upgrade". Good luck!

Cory

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm using a Belkin cable and it's working wonderfully. I used a cheap one (not ebay, but not Belkin or Monster) and I had to go through 2 in 6 months.

I switched to an aftermarket DVD player and run mine through the cupholder to my phone now.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My first cable was a Belkin- $5, lasted 10 months.
Second was Monster- $20, lasted 12 months.
Current is another Belkin - sure, the Monster cable had a 20% longer life, but at 5x the cost, it isn't worth it.

I still recommend trying a new cable first, unless of course you're just itching for an excuse to replace the HU. I've been there, and would completely understand!

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
The dash opening is ready for a "double din" head unit. U have to make modification to the sub-dash and they slide right in. Pioneer makes some great products. Go on Crutchfield and check it out. You will have a great unit for the money. Your factory speakers will sound nice with the extra power from a after market deck. Next thing u know you'll be buying speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I was always a fan of kenwood head units.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.