Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulling camper last weekend, I was on a two lane road climbing a long steep grade. The fan kicked on high, as it should have and then all hell broke loose.. loud grinding sound, and I could smell coolant. Temps started to rise. I was able to make it another mile to the top of the hill and pulled off. Coolant temp was at 240 and steam everywhere. Once everything cooled down I inspected to find parts of the rubber fan shroud entangled in the fan blades. The radiator was damaged in several spots, with a major gash in the top drivers side. A resident nearby brought jugs of water and I refilled the system and limped the rig into the campground (I was only about 5 miles away from the campground, mostly downhill, thank God). I was able to find a diesel shop in a nearby town who was able to get me back on the road (new radiator, shroud and what I hope is a permanent fix so this doesn't happen again).

A huge shout out to Advanced Diesel Solutions in Harrison AR. They were able to source the new radiator / shroud and performed the repair quickly. Even better, they came up with a solution to help prevent this from happening again. They drilled holes through the rubber part and fastened it all the way around to the hard plastic shroud using plastic push type body pins (see pictures). This should prevent the shroud from sucking inward and being eaten by the fan.

I searched around online (and here) and found a few other people who have had this same issue with the late model 6.7 CTDs (fan sucking in rubber shroud and damaging radiator). It is prob happening MORE than we know. Everyone check the rubber part of your shroud to ensure it is sitting flush and tight. In most all cases that I have read about, it mainly happens when the fan engages high speed, as it creates greater airflow.

Please post the condition of your shroud if you get a chance to inspect it. Is it tight and laying flat? Is it loose and starting to turn inward? It would be good to know if this is something we are able to proactively prevent.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,070 Posts
On my 08, the shroud rubbed on the radiator and caused a leak. It was repairable though, and not as dramatic as yours. Glad you got it fixed up, I'll be popping the hood on my truck before I go anywhere tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Pulling camper last weekend, I was on a two lane road climbing a long steep grade. The fan kicked on high, as it should have and then all hell broke loose.. loud grinding sound, and I could smell coolant. Temps started to rise. I was able to make it another mile to the top of the hill and pulled off. Coolant temp was at 240 and steam everywhere. Once everything cooled down I inspected to find parts of the rubber fan shroud entangled in the fan blades. The radiator was damaged in several spots, with a major gash in the top drivers side. A resident nearby brought jugs of water and I refilled the system and limped the rig into the campground (I was only about 5 miles away from the campground, mostly downhill, thank God). I was able to find a diesel shop in a nearby town who was able to get me back on the road (new radiator, shroud and what I hope is a permanent fix so this doesn't happen again).

A huge shout out to Advanced Diesel Solutions in Harrison AR. They were able to source the new radiator / shroud and performed the repair quickly. Even better, they came up with a solution to help prevent this from happening again. They drilled holes through the rubber part and fastened it all the way around to the hard plastic shroud using plastic push type body pins (see pictures). This should prevent the shroud from sucking inward and being eaten by the fan.

I searched around online (and here) and found a few other people who have had this same issue with the late model 6.7 CTDs (fan sucking in rubber shroud and damaging radiator). It is prob happening MORE than we know. Everyone check the rubber part of your shroud to ensure it is sitting flush and tight. In most all cases that I have read about, it mainly happens when the fan engages high speed, as it creates greater airflow.

Please post the condition of your shroud if you get a chance to inspect it. Is it tight and laying flat? Is it loose and starting to turn inward? It would be good to know if this is something we are able to proactively prevent.
Thanks for showing us the fix. Great to hear that a shop was able to handle the repairs and
what looks like a fix to stop this issue. How much did this cost you ? Thanks!

EDIT: I just looked at my 2016 and it's the same setup. When the underhood temps are high that rubber will soften up real fast. These engineers need to be horse whipped for designing something so idiotic. That fix should hold it in place from what I can see.

I'll be doing mine the same way before the next trip. This is unbelievable. :spank:

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
. . . they came up with a solution to help prevent this from happening again. They drilled holes through the rubber part and fastened it all the way around to the hard plastic shroud using plastic push type body pins (see pictures). This should prevent the shroud from sucking inward and being eaten by the fan . . .
Had the same thing happen to our 2016 3500 Cummins with 800 miles on it. All repaired under warranty. Currently at 40k with no further issues.

It'll be interesting to see how those "pins" (and the rubber shroud) the diesel shop installed hold up for the long haul. On our truck the engine (and rubber shroud which is bolted to the engine) constantly moves around about 1/4" - 1/2" in relation to the hard plastic shroud (which is bolted to the radiator/frame). Without the pins (when stock), the rubber shroud glides over the plastic radiator shroud when the engine moves. With the pins installed, the rubber shroud is forced to absorb this 1/4" - 1/2" of flex in a way it was not designed to. This rubber shroud is not very pliable. IMO there is higher probability the rubber shroud could eventually rip or tear from all this movement with the pins installed.

I might add, I believe the reason why most of these shrouds failed is because the rubber shrouds were not installed properly at the factory---not because there's anything inherently wrong with the basic design itself. The rubber shroud must be seated flat and securely to the plastic radiator shroud when installed (at the factory). If not it eventually gets sucked into the fan.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
My fix was to remove the shroud, now my temps NEVER go over 200. The shroud was meant to help pull air when stopped. When moving I actually think it slows it down. I say let the wind do it's job since you bought the fuel that accelerated your truck up to speed why block the flow with a plastic bonnet. But, I've been wrong before so do so at your own risk!

·
Registered
374 Posts
How the hell did that rubber part come loose?

I'm going to check my '17 after work today.
At least on our truck, the rubber shroud did not "come loose" per se. When it was installed at the factory a portion of the rubber shroud (which is mounted via brackets to the engine block) was not seated completely flat against the hard-plastic radiator shroud (possibly folded over). Eventually that portion of the rubber shroud (not seated flat) gets sucked away from the hard-plastic radiator shroud towards the fan blades where it disintegrates. The pieces get thrown about violently, typically doing significant damage to the radiator---in some cases resulting in a total loss off coolant. When you make your check it's important to check completely around the shroud---especially the very bottom.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for showing us the fix. Great to hear that a shop was able to handle the repairs and
what looks like a fix to stop this issue. How much did this cost you ? Thanks!

EDIT: I just looked at my 2016 and it's the same setup. When the underhood temps are high that rubber will soften up real fast. These engineers need to be horse whipped for designing something so idiotic. That fix should hold it in place from what I can see.

I'll be doing mine the same way before the next trip. This is unbelievable. :spank:
Total cost for parts and repair was around $1500. My fan was okay, saving some expense.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had the same thing happen to our 2016 3500 Cummins with 800 miles on it. All repaired under warranty. Currently at 40k with no further issues.

It'll be interesting to see how those "pins" (and the rubber shroud) the diesel shop installed hold up for the long haul. On our truck the engine (and rubber shroud which is bolted to the engine) constantly moves around about 1/4" - 1/2" in relation to the hard plastic shroud (which is bolted to the radiator/frame). Without the pins (when stock), the rubber shroud glides over the plastic radiator shroud when the engine moves. With the pins installed, the rubber shroud is forced to absorb this 1/4" - 1/2" of flex in a way it was not designed to. This rubber shroud is not very pliable. IMO there is higher probability the rubber shroud could eventually rip or tear from all this movement with the pins installed.

I might add, I believe the reason why most of these shrouds failed is because the rubber shrouds were not installed properly at the factory---not because there's anything inherently wrong with the basic design itself. The rubber shroud must be seated flat and securely to the plastic radiator shroud when installed (at the factory). If not it eventually gets sucked into the fan.
Thanks for the reply. It makes some sense they would have engineered the shroud the move and have flexibility, I get your point regarding the pins and them possibly adding further wear on the shroud. However I have read about people having the same issue occur more than once on the same truck... new radiator, new shroud, just to have the same thing happen again. I believe it is a crap shoot either way.. Have it repaired and 'hope' it doesn't happen again, or take preventive steps and 'hope' it doesn't happen again.
It's a piss poor design all around. And I believe the issue is much more widespread than we know of.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How the hell did that rubber part come loose?

I'm going to check my '17 after work today.
On mine, the rubber shroud sucked inward.. from the top drivers side. If you are standing in front of truck looking at grill.. the damage was from the 12 to 3 o'clock position (shroud chewed up).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It makes some sense they would have engineered the shroud the move and have flexibility, I get your point regarding the pins and them possibly adding further wear on the shroud. However I have read about people having the same issue occur more than once on the same truck... new radiator, new shroud, just to have the same thing happen again. I believe it is a crap shoot either way.. Have it repaired and 'hope' it doesn't happen again, or take preventive steps and 'hope' it doesn't happen again.
It's a piss poor design all around. And I believe the issue is much more widespread than we know of.
Yeah, it's very possible it could be more widespread that we realize. Kinda curious whether they changed the shroud design in the 2019's. If they did, that would say it all. If not, well, who knows. In any case, it won't be in my best interest to modify my shroud 'cause I've got the the Ram Max Care 8/120 warranty. Any mods would be grounds to deny coverage.

Hopefully FCA coughs up the $1500 for you.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Here's a pic of a 2019 Ram 3500 Cummins radiator/fan shroud. It's definitely different from my 2016. Looks like they reversed everything. The radiator side now has rubber that goes outside the hard plastic that's now mounted to the engine. There appears to be substantially more overlap between the two pieces, too. That in itself should reduce the chance of anything slipping into the fan.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Well, i'm sure glad they did that, we wouldn't want anyone trying to change the fan belt while it's running!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well, i'm sure glad they did that, we wouldn't want anyone trying to change the fan belt while it's running!
You may want to look at the pic again. The new design does cover the fan well; however, it still gives clear, unimpeded access to the fan belt (and pulleys) just like the previous shroud. Sadly, Ram has chosen to let the carnage continue :(

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looked at mine. See the top has a lot more overlap than at the left and right top corners.
The corners look like the weak point for the rubber shroud.
Drivers side had a looser fit, so for now put a thick washer between the mount and shroud to push it forward a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New to the site. Owned 3 Cummins. First 6.7. Bought it a month ago. First time towing my rig and had this happen. I’m a diesel mechanic for Caterpillar, diagnosed what happened 120 miles from home. Knew the rubber contacted the radiator and took it out. Searched google to see if anyone else had this issue and found this thread. I’m taking the rubber shroud out and seeing how it does. My truck is now 110 miles from me with my buggy and trailer. And I can’t get parts till Monday. Not happy for first time with a decent load

Attachments

1 - 20 of 91 Posts