Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Hide your cats!
5,100 Posts
so whats the code you keep clearing? usually if you havea code clears and it dosent come back then it was a fluke, but if it is always coming back then there is a issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ok so heres an ADD ON newbie question to this topic LOL

when the heaters cycle on and off, with the load on your ALT and what not.
do you guys hear it on your engine.
mine runs super smooth but i think its when the heater kicks in or out
i hear a VERY slight bump in RPM, just for a fraction of a second. so slight that if your not standing there listening for it you may not hear it.
its like one piston gets a tiny bit of a bigger shot of diesel or something
anyone else hear this ???
yeah mine does the same thing, the volt gauge also drops when the lights dim but then it will go right back up and the lights will come back to normal. i thought that it was my batteries and the alternator was just trying to catch up until i read this... could be the heater grid just kickin on and off

·
Registered
5 Posts
Turn the key off each time

On the starting issue, turn the key off each time you try to start the engine. I watched the video and you never turned the key back to off. The engine has a cold start injector ( I believe it would like a efi gas motor) that primes the motor for start up. It doesn't always work the first time, so prime it again. Hence the no smoke, injection wont inject till it fires. I have a 05 cummins with a 6 speed manual and learned this by stalling in an intersection. I could crank it till the batteries died, and it wouldn't start. But turn it off and start over and she fires immediatly, with no smoke. Try it and see if it works. Maybe the cold start injector or system is fowled.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad this is a sticky thanks! I was wondering what the hell, I have bigger relays installed to since the stock ones went to hell on me that's y my lights get so dark.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I work 2 weeks in 2 weeks out in the Canadian North and the truck sits for 2 weeks in -30 celcius weather but is plugged in. Is it a problem if I don't start it and let it run a few minutes for those 2 weeks? Is there any problems that could arise or what?
Any help would be awesome!
Cheers
In addition to plugging it in as "mstoaks" suggested, also get a dealer to implement high speed idle option because the engine won't warm up at -30 without it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
thank god for this forum, i havent had my truck very long and it did this lastnight. i thought forsure my alt was going.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just make sure you dont forget anti gel and IMO 0w 40 oil for those cold starts...... :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a 04 and as my truck idles and the air conditioner is on high then it goes to low then back to high back and forth. any ideas??

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
i have a 04 and as my truck idles and the air conditioner is on high then it goes to low then back to high back and forth. any ideas??
does this match up with the voltage drops of the grid heater cycling?

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
depends on the day. and it does it even after the engine is warmed up
Mine will do that when the heater cycles, even when its warm and i shutdown and restart a few mins later itll cycle a few times as i start driving but if your just driving down the road with a warm engine and its doing it randomly like after 15-20mins of driving then thats weird. this of course during cold temps only

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
could it also do it if there is a vacume leak?
As far as i know about our hvac it was all electric controls/doors/fan etc no vacuum lines like on the older trucks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is there any way to modify the cycle times? I run an Espar heater and when i get out to the truck the engine is already warm, but the grid heater cycles for a few minutes still. Not that i am worried about the load on the Alt, but i just don't need that low fan high fan cycling on my commute.

Second point to ponder, weak batteries will kill your alternator and starter. Low voltage at the batteries means a slower spinning starter which draws more amperage. its counter intuitive, but lower volt draws more amps. This puts a larger and longer load on your alternator that what was designed (yes people spent time and money thinking about how long it should take to charge up the batteries on a cold start), and burn out the diodes. In my line of work i can't tell you how often i have seen 60 dollar bad batteries kill 200+ dollar alts and starters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
no its all stock, i just really want to get this figured out before winter. if shes stubborn in 40 degree weather i dont even want to know what shell do in 32 an below. and when its crankin theres absolutely no sign of it gettin ready to fire. when it finally does fire it jus does. its not like its strugglin ya kno?
I would definitely check your fuel pump relay before anything else , they can be very temperamental and
Intermittent , especially with the voltage drop occurring while starting, (40 degrees =more drop) especially with borderline batteries

·
SuperModerator
10,587 Posts
Building Font Art Magenta Facade

Be Aware of the dates on posts you reply to, that member has not been on for over 5 years. So don't expect a reply.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts