Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
As a newb, I would like to throw my thanks out there as well. FWIW, my Predator seems to really amplify the issue. I'll guess that it has something to do with the extra fuel pressure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Grid heater huh???

Why do people spend all this money and build crazy PVC contraptions to have a "cold air intake" if your grid heater is just going to warm the air back up??:rof

·
Hide your cats!
5,100 Posts
because in place like where you live they are not needed and can be deleted, now up north where temps are typically below 0* they play a big role. spent $10.00 on this crazy pvc contraption. and 50 for a filter. better the $400

·
Registered
176 Posts
And the heater does not stay on all the time it cycles til the water gets to a certain temp and stops.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
it does mention this in the owners manual btw

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
Why do people spend all this money and build crazy PVC contraptions to have a "cold air intake" if your grid heater is just going to warm the air back up??:rof
the grid heater doesnt cycle when the engine is at normal operating temps.

and people make home made cold air intakes because most of the big name "cold air" intakes actually perform worse than your OEM airbox. they allow for a greater volume of air yes, but that air is so much hotter because youre now sucking it straight out of the engine compartment. people argue that its unnecessary but its just common sense: a greater volume of cool air is much better for your engine than a greater volume of hot air. im running a banks TRUE cai w/ the scoop. the only air that goes into my turbo is cool air from outside the engine compartment.

even if the grid heater did cycle all the time, its not the only thing working against cooler intake temperatures. the turbo heats the air because its hot from the exhaust gases, and the compression of the air causes heat. then youve got all your plumbing wrapped around your hot engine block. so yeah no matter what the air thats going into your manifold is not by any means going to be COLD. but the lower you can get the temp. of that air at the beginning, the lower its going to be at the end.

·
Registered
54 Posts
so its the grid heaters? i have always thought that is the alternator kicking on and off to keep the load off the motor lol

·
Pursuing the Great Commission
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Yep... Just the grid heaters putting a big load on the electrical system :thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've got a newbie question sadly, I've been borrowing the family diesel until recently when I bought my own and was curious about something.
I work 2 weeks in 2 weeks out in the Canadian North and the truck sits for 2 weeks in -30 celcius weather but is plugged in. Is it a problem if I don't start it and let it run a few minutes for those 2 weeks? Is there any problems that could arise or what?
Any help would be awesome!
Already learned a ton from the forums!
Cheers

·
Hide your cats!
5,100 Posts
As long as it's plugged In and better to keep out of the wind if possible you should be good!

Reactions: Alberta.Cowboy

·
Registered
143 Posts
As long as it's plugged In and better to keep out of the wind if possible you should be good!
Thanks a ton man! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here is my question, I also had the dimming and the voltage drop when the heaters came on, Also my seat heaters (on cold mornings 45 degf or lower) would blink and not come on. I would have to drive a minute or 2 then stop shut the truck off, restart the truck before I could get the seat heaters to work. Do you think the switch is going bad?

·
Registered
216 Posts
That sounds like your AC compressor cycling. Even with the AC button off, it will use the system on the defrost/defog settings. Normal.
Gotta just worship this site. Yet again here is a post answering a simple issue that i was gona ask a question on. Could never figure out why the A/C was working even tho it is switched off.

As i always have my heater set for your feet and the windscreen im guessing this answers my simple question :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
On my 06 the voltage drops to about 9V when the heaters cycle on, and back to 14V when they cycle off, THEN the check engine light comes on.
I get the light turned off, but next time the heaters cycle on/off, the light come on again. What gives? Why does the engine light keep coming on, and how do i stop it?

41 - 60 of 80 Posts