Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Pursuing the Great Commission
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been in the 40s the last couple of mornings, and my lights dimming just happen to remind me of this common newbie question.

This is completely normal. It is your grid heaters cycling on and off. The extra load of the heaters is what is causing the lights to dim. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the post/sticky. Even with some diesel knowledge there is still a lot! that us newbies don't know and we, at least I, have appreciated the knowledge found here. Thanks Guys!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
292 Posts
ok so heres an ADD ON newbie question to this topic LOL

when the heaters cycle on and off, with the load on your ALT and what not.
do you guys hear it on your engine.
mine runs super smooth but i think its when the heater kicks in or out
i hear a VERY slight bump in RPM, just for a fraction of a second. so slight that if your not standing there listening for it you may not hear it.
its like one piston gets a tiny bit of a bigger shot of diesel or something
anyone else hear this ???

·
Registered
485 Posts
ok so heres an ADD ON newbie question to this topic LOL

when the heaters cycle on and off, with the load on your ALT and what not.
do you guys hear it on your engine.
mine runs super smooth but i think its when the heater kicks in or out
i hear a VERY slight bump in RPM, just for a fraction of a second. so slight that if your not standing there listening for it you may not hear it.
its like one piston gets a tiny bit of a bigger shot of diesel or something
anyone else hear this ???
That's normal, just adjusting to the amperage draw from the grid heater.

Riley~~~

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
yeah i got a quick question too, when my truck idles it will idle at one rpm then you can hear it click then idle different and it does that back and forth all day what is it?
That sounds like your AC compressor cycling. Even with the AC button off, it will use the system on the defrost/defog settings. Normal.

·
Hide your cats!
5,100 Posts
they heat the air coming into the intake helps on them really cold mornings!

Reactions: MGB RAM

·
Pursuing the Great Commission
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
very normal :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you look at the intake manifold side where the air horn bolts to the manifold you will see two electrical connections (about #8 or 10 wire). This is the electrical connections to grid heater. The grid heater is a resistance wire located at the air horn/manifold interface.

If my memory serves me right, when the engine temp. is less than 59* they will cycle "ON", they draw about 650 watts. at 12V that would be about 54 Amps, hence the headlight dimming, slight engine RPM change when they cycle ON.

The ONLY reason for the "wait to start" light is for the grid heaters to cycle and heat the incomming air on a "cold" engine, when the engine has been warmed up you can ignore the "wait to start " light. It will fire right up.

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
lately whenever the temp gets around 40 or below an its been sittin for a few days it takes a while for her to start, i was thinkin it was the grid but after readin some threads they should start fine without them, and after readin this thread im experiencing the draw on the amps so im assuming its functioning. anyone have any idea what it might be?:confused013:

·
Registered
485 Posts
How old are the batteries? Have you had them tested?

Riley~~~

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
How old are the batteries? Have you had them tested?

Riley~~~
no i have not. i just assume theyre fine because it turns over just fine. just doesnt fire. the other day i had to crank it pry atleast 5 or 6 times, about 3-5 secs each time. and when it did finally fire i was thinkin there would be smoke but nothin. just ran like nothin happened. maybe a fuel deliv. issue? idk...

·
Registered
485 Posts
no i have not. i just assume theyre fine because it turns over just fine. just doesnt fire. the other day i had to crank it pry atleast 5 or 6 times, about 3-5 secs each time. and when it did finally fire i was thinkin there would be smoke but nothin. just ran like nothin happened. maybe a fuel deliv. issue? idk...
Do you have gauges to monitor anything?

Riley~~~

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
Do you have gauges to monitor anything?

Riley~~~
no its all stock, i just really want to get this figured out before winter. if shes stubborn in 40 degree weather i dont even want to know what shell do in 32 an below. and when its crankin theres absolutely no sign of it gettin ready to fire. when it finally does fire it jus does. its not like its strugglin ya kno?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts